Food Tips for a Disabled Person

contest winner icon

My suggestion will help any disabled person or senior citizen living alone. I use a motorized wheel chair. I have a home aide 3 times a week, 2 hours each time. One day is designated usually to cooking. We make up partial meals for the week.

This is helpful but sometimes I like to eat something that does not go from freezer to microwave first. Some of this I can buy in single size servings, such as instant oatmeal and mac and cheese. I occasionally like noodles or a bowl of cereal. But getting them out of box in right amount can be hard to do when alone. What we do is make individual serving bags of these.

I know that one ounce pasta is one bread/carb exchange with the ADA. We measure out 2 ounces (I like this amount) of noodles or whatever pasta I am using and put it in ziploc sandwich bags. They are put in a big plastic jar and on the floor of my pantry, so I can reach them. We do the same with cereal, measure the amount listed on the box as a serving, put it in sandwich bags, and put bags back in the box. They are also placed where I can reach them. When I want either one I just grab a bag, no messing with boxes and trying to measure it out.

I also do this with small freezer items that contain more than one serving in a package, such as pizza rolls and fish sticks. I put a serving portion in sandwich bag, and put all the bags in a gallon freezer bag. Just have to grab one when I want one.

This is an enormous time and waste saver for me. Just have to plan ahead. If you have a family member, possibly disabled or a senior, you could do this for them. Little things like this can help the person live in own place and not need a nursing home.

By knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceOctober 13, 2010
Halloween Wheelchair Costumes
Halloween Wheelchair Costumes
Elderly Woman Walking with Daughter
Activities for the Elderly and Disabled
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Centaur Costume
Disabled veteran in a wheelchair in front of an American flag.
Housing Assistance for Disabled Veterans
🎉
🎄