Let Older Children Handle Their Clothing Budget - Categories:

ClothesSchool

Let Older Children Handle Their Clothing Budget

Give older children and teenagers their own reasonable clothing budget. They quickly learn that the money only goes so far. If they want designer jeans, fine, but they'll have to cut back somewhere else or earn the extra money themselves.

By Lisa Trudeau

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Last year was the first time I did this and it worked great!! My son was 7 and my daughter was 12. I gave each one a set amount of money to buy school clothes and they were responsible to keep track of the amount they spent. If they went over they had to pay for the extra or put some back and if they did not spend it all the extra went into their savings account.

Before I did this my daughter begged for designer this and designer that. Now she asks to shop at consignment stores, garage sales and her new favorite store - Value City.

I think that teaching your child to manage money is great. And I understand that designer clothes are very expensive. But I think its wrong to have your child buy garage sale clothes unless they really see something they like. If you can afford to buy your children clothes from wal-mart of k-mart then do it. Remember, your supposed to give your children things that you never had. That doesnt mean you have to spoil them.

Parenting School ClothesAugust 25, 2004
Woman Consulting Her Shopping List in the Supermarket
Creating a Food Budget
childrens pants
Lengthening Children's Clothing
A couple working on their household budget.
Reducing Your Household Budget
female hand shaving legs
Asking Your Parents to Let You Shave
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 4:56:27 PM on 10.0.0.123 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.