Box Made from Christmas Cards and Yarn - Categories:

Recycled CraftsCrafts

Box Made from Christmas Cards and Yarn

When I was a kid, my aunt made boxes out of old Christmas cards. She would punch holes along the sides and then crochet them together. The boxes even had a flap for a lid. I am looking for directions/pattern on how to make these.

Nancy from Pittsburgh

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Hi Mom,

I think I found something that will help. http://robynefmelia.blogspot.com/2010/05/hanky-box-for-zoe.html

if they are like the ones I remember, the wholes were punched with a needle first, then a blanket stitch was sticthed around with a needle and a string type yarn. We then whipstiched them together in the shape of a house or box. Needed the same size cards and same color family. Thats what I remember, I had a few of those until a few years ago.

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/christmas/f115002hexagonbox.shtml This is the link that I use.

Rebecca from Indiana

I'll bet the ones you might be thinking about are the hexagon shaped ones. The sides kind of bulged out. I have been looking for that pattern for years. I used to make them with my grandmother, she actually crocheted them together, using a crochet hook. I saw some for sale at a craft fair, but they would not give me a copy of the pattern. I will keep hunting surely someone has a pattern they are willing to share.

Well, I am still looking for the pattern for those Hexagon shaped boxes. The one that I keep seeing is not the right one. The one I want has curved sides that bulge out and make a box that is rounded on the outside. I know it must be hard to visualize if you have never seen one. I am determined to find a copy of the original one. I might have to try to create my own. I really want to make these for my children this year. They have been asking for years. I can't believe that they are not on the Internet somewhere, but I have searched under every description I can think of. Help!

Crafts Recycled CraftsDecember 15, 2004
knitting needles
Using Eyelash Yarn
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Vintage Hank Aaron Baseball Card Leaning Against Old Baseball
Determining the Value of Baseball Cards
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 5:15:14 PM on 10.0.0.123 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.