Parvo: How Long Should I Wait to Get Another Dog?

The staffy pup I brought home from the shelter had parvo. She soiled twice on my carpet. I quickly cleaned it up and then we used a trigene disinfectant from the vet and sprayed the carpet many times. She also vomited once outside and we dug out the soil about 2 feet and bleached the area. The pavers have been bleached and all floors have been bleached. My pup had to be put down, she was so young and sick. How long should we wait until anther pup can come into my home?

Many thanks,
Colleen

Unless you want your heart broken again, I wouldn't take any chances. Ask you vet!

Ask your vet.

I had a dog die on Christmas Eve of Parvo. What we did is we sprayed our yard with bleach water. 10 parts water to 1 part bleach spray very well. Clean inside as well as possible with bleach where you can and do the best everywhere else. Then you MUST either get an older dog that is up to date on its shots and I would get a shot record. But if you get a puppy you must get every single shot they are supposed to get. Which is 4 parvo/distempers. The puppy/dog will be safe from the parvo 24-48 hrs after the shot. So you must keep the puppy away from any place that the other dog was until then.

We have 4 puppies now and we have had them since they were 6-7 wks old we did the shot thing and the bleach thing. I also steam cleaned my carpets. But they are all doing great. No sign what so ever and we have had them for over 3 months now. Hope this helps.

I am soooo sorry about your pup...ours came down with this when she was appox. 5 or 6 months..fortunately she pulled through...she is now 13...but she was sooo sick and was mis diagnosted during the first visit to see what was wrong. It was a miracle she pulled through. I am sure your vet could tell you...at the time she had it and was cured..we did not know much...we didn't do anything in the way of clean up!?!?

Good luck to you

my puppy had parvo we had her for two days soiled only once on the carpet i have bleached everywhere possible we had to get her put down so my children and i would love to get another pup .we have paid for a staffy she is having her 3rd shot in 3 weeks and we will wait another week before bringing her home. will that home be safe?

I am worried that I have made a mistake, I adopted a puppy and it had parvo so we put it down, the next dau we bleached the floors and put disinfectant on the furniture and carpets and we have washed all of the clothes and blankets with color safe bleach, then that night we brought home our new puppy and she hasn't had her shots yet, I wasn't aware that we were supposed to wait weeks or even months after bleaching, was this a horrible move or does my puppy still have a fighting chance?

Editor's Note: It would be best if you can get her shots right away. You may have done enough to kill the virus, only time will tell but getting the shots will help.

It takes longer than 24-48 for a shot to work, it is more like 2 weeks. If a pup has already been exposed to parvo, it's not a good idea to give the shot, as the shot brings down the immune system, better to wait a couple of weeks, then give the shot, best thing is ask your vet...but if I knew it was in my house or yard, don't give a shot and let your new pup on the floor or yard, they most likely will come down with parvo. No one has a difinite time frame of how long it is in the environment, months - years, depends, bleach is all you can do, but you can't wipe out every trace of it in your yard. Best to use a shot called Neopar at the age of 5 to 6 weeks, keep you pup away from everything, possibly crated for 2 weeks, keep your hands clean or wear gloves, you can have the germ on your hands and bring to your pup. All puppies should have a series of 4 shots, with the last one being around 16 weeks. Shot at 6 weeks is not going to do it, 2 sets will not do it.

It's best to bring in a pup that has had all it's shots, or keep one quaranteened till it has completed all it's shots.

Parvo is bought in on your shoes, picked up at Petsmart or other places that allow pets (I honestly believe that should be OUTLAWED), can be picked up at the vets office, cats or other animals can bring it on their feet to your yard. This is really scary stuff, and people need to know all these things when they think of getting a pet or a new pet to replace the one they lost to parvo. If you don't know the do's and don'ts, do your research then when you feel you have provided a safe environment for a new pup, and time has passed, then get another one.

My vet told me, one client had a pup to die from parvo, got new pup 2YEARS later, it came down with parvo...so it's there, we don't know how long...so please think before you go do something that will only make the situation worse.

We got a pup and it was 6-8 weeks old. after a few weeks she became sick and thats when we found out she had parvo. We thought she was gonna get over it, but it was just so hard knowing she was gonna die. I prayed to god every night and every time I seen her mess or vomit. it was the worst thing ever had to go through watching my puppy die, and there was nothing I could do. We wanna get another pup but we are not sure what we need to do, before bringing the pup home.

Bleach will NOT work outside! Use Shacklee Basic G, it kills the Parvo in the grass, on the ground but won't kill the grass or pollute the ground.

BTW, Parvo stays on and in the ground a year if not treated and it can be tracked home by anyone who goes in your yard.

I used bleach many times with water mixed in and it killed the parvo virus I fostered pup out of the shelter and a few I brought home came down with it but I bleached the yard and have hade many pups in the yard and no one has ever gotten sick from parvo since I bleached every inch of my yard and house if u use the the right dilution it will kill the parvo virus I used the sprayer that attached to the water hose and it mixes while its spraying I have never hade a problem with the parvo coming or in the yard and it's been like 10 years and that's all we use at my vet to is bleach my vet has always told me to bleach my yard before bring in a new pup if u bleach it will kill that virus iam a firm believer in bleach have always used it and always have been safe!!! That's just my experience tho and I have been fostering and rescuing dogs and cats for years and bleach has always been my best friend.

June 19, 2013 Flag

My daughter lived with 2 years ago. Her dog somehow got parvo, and survived and lived in my house for those years. He hasn't lived with me for a year now, but still comes over. He doen't go to the bathroom in my house, but outside, yes. Well, I'm getting a new puppy, what should I do? Is my daughter's dog still contagious after all this time?

By Dottie

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I rescued some puppies that had Parvo, from my experience and what a Vet told me, your house and yard can be dangerous for up to 2-3 years after. House can be bleached to help keep next animal safe. As for yard- make sure puppy get his/her shots before going outside or train them in another part of the yard where the other dog with parvo wasn't at.

By the way, a dog that got over Parvo, will not get it again, and if totally over it, cannot spread Parvo.

Don't know if I got this to you or not, but here goes again.

After rescuing some puppies with Parvo, what I learned and what a Vet told me. That as long as your house is well bleached your house will be fine. Please bleach your house even though the dog didn't mess in your house. Think of a cough and how it spreads when cleaning areas where her dog was. As for your yard, it is NOT safe for a puppy with no shots to be in that yard. The yard will be a danger for 2-3 yrs for a dog with no or just 2 shots. Must have 3rd shot to be safe. If getting a puppy use another part of the yard where the other dog that had Parvo didn't use. Once a dog is over Parvo, they cannot get it back, and can't spread it.

May 29, 2013 Flag

I have had three dogs, one we sadly just gave away a couple months ago. He had never been vaccinated, a friend wanted him after we had him over a year. We then adopted two from the shelter one is around two years. It is a Husky mix and the other an American Staff who was about 2 months when we adopted her. We got them in October 2012, by December we noticed her foaming and very limp and not eating or drinking. She would hide for about two days in a roll.

Then we decided to take her to the vet. They diagnosed her with parvo we spent over $200 for medicines and to bring her home to hope for the best. I cared for her and she survived. The other two dogs that were around, which are males, never got sick and they were in the yard she was in sick and inside. We kept her in the kennel until she got better.

So now we just got a new puppy over the weekend for my daughter's bday. He is a tiny full blood Chihuahua. He was very hyper and always running around the past two days. I noticed yesterday he has just been sleeping. He's at least 3-4 months old. I am a bit worried he may have caught it, if it's possible. Or he could be just warming up to his new family. Any advice is appreciated. I know the only way to get an answer would be to just take him to vet, but not if there isn't a chance he could have gotten it. Also because he is mostly inside and I have small children who love to carry him around I am afraid my kids might get sick if possible!

By Ariana

Your kids can't get parvo from the puppy. You did not say whether the puppy had been vaccinated. If he has the chances of dying from parvo are less. Your puppy could have picked up parvo from virus left from the previous sick dog.

You can clean areas where the sick dog was with a bleach solution, but the safest thing is just not to bring an unvaccinated dog into the same environment as a sick dog. If your puppy doesnt perk up soon I would get it to a Vet asap. If it is showing signs of parvo it should not be vaccinated now. You will have to wait and see if it survives the disease.

Your dog that caught parvo is now a carrier that means that the new Chihuahua can easily get parvo just by drinking out of the same water bowl as the dog who has had parvo before. Parvo is spread thru saliva which is bad because all puppies do is lick. So keep the chihuahua away from the one who has been previously infected. The only way to kill the virus is bleach. Put it in your yard and all over your house. Do not miss a spot.

Parvo is so serious and I almost can't believe you admitted to having dogs without getting any vaccinations. If you don't vaccinate you can get parvo or distemper and they will die. Go to an animal feed store now and get vaccinations for like 7 dollars each.

I have one parvo survivor and one puppy who died of parvo.These animals lives are precious so think next time before you waste those 7 dollars on a big Mac and go vaccinate your dogs.

We just recently went thru losing 3 puppies to parvo, so I understand your grieve and sorry for your loss. But we did find out humans can't get sick from puppy parvo...

August 5, 2011 Flag

I recently lost 2 Boston Terrier pups to parvo. They had their shots, and were 7 months old. They had gotten loose and went to the neighbor's yard, where the neighbor had already lost 2 pups to parvo, and has had several cases of parvo over the past 5 years; I found out.

We can quarantine the areas off so no person or animal can get to those areas, we bleached them, sun baked the bleach for 10 minutes (full strength), and then flooded the area with water. We have bleached our carpets, and bleach steam cleaned our hard wood floors, all concrete has been bleached, this process is being done every 30 days to make sure we kill off any Parvo in these areas.

How long before we can get a new Boston Terrier? We miss them so much. I gave them IVs, shots, Pedialyte, and Greek yogurt, but they only survived for 3 days. Any current information would be helpful. Thanks.

By Karen

First, I'm sorry for your loss. I assume you were taking them to the vet, because you said they had IVs. Why not give their vet a call and ask them about this? They probably know what needs to be done, and for how long, to make your property safe again. And if they got out through the fence, don't forget to check & make it puppy-proof so they cannot escape again!

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you. I hope you have no problems this time around.

I lost my Rottweiler to pravo iam devastated. When can i get another puppy with complete dosage of shots

March 29, 2012 Flag

My dog died about a month ago from parvo. I want to know how long I should wait to get a new puppy and how I could clean my yard, house, things, etc.

By R.K

Unfortunately the virus lives in the ground and it last's for years. I am so sorry for you're loss but maybe you could get a young adult from the pound and save a life. God Bless and call you're vet who can tell you what you should do.

I too am sorry for your loss! I would suggest waiting a few more months maybe even a year before getting another dog friend. Also a adult dog from a shelter always makes a wonderful friend or at least get a puppy from a rescue group if you must have a puppy. Please check with your vet regarding when your area will be free from parvo. bleach is the only thing I know that kills parvo

Good luck with your future dog!

dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
Pets Dogs HealthApril 13, 2007
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
Medical Insurance Documents
How Long Should You Save Medical Insurance Documents?
🎉
🎄