Puppy Becomes Too Excited at Feeding Time

My puppy is 7 weeks old and every time I go to feed him and he sees me getting his food out he starts to go crazy. I have tried to calm him down, but that doesn't work. I have had a family member hold him, but he will go crazy in their arms.

Once he hears the noise of his bowl and spoon he goes insane and there is no calming him down. Please help!

By Erin from Hemet, CA

He's a puppy! He is happy, happy, happy for suppertime! Don't encourage the behavior but don't make a big deal about it. Just talk to him while you are preparing the food in a calm, friendly voice and I suspect he will grow out of the "crazy" stage in a few months or less. Good Luck!

Maybe you should feed him more smaller amounts more frequently. Hungry puppies get very excited.

I suspect you are feeding only once a day. He needs food 3 and 4 times a day. Google a good immune system diet. He sounds hungry. He is just a baby. Dont punish him for being so happy he is going to eat. Sounds of happy are a joy to hear.

He needs to be fed more often, like every 3 hours or so.

He is just so cute! How can you resist him?

He is still just a baby, he's going to get excited. You got some good advice about feeding him more often. If you just feed him once or twice a day, he's going to be hungry,he has to eat more while he's little.

That being said- I decided when my dog was a pup that she was not going to be under foot in the kitchen, or beg while we ate. So I started working on her while she was a puppy & now she is so well behaved that she will lay in the entry of the kitchen & wait for me to put the food in her bowl and then tell her to "come eat", before she will come in the kitchen. Sometimes she's so eager, she forgets & runs in,but very quickly runs back out in embarrassment when she realizes what she did! Also, she is not allowed to even watch us while we eat(we eat in living room quite a bit). She can lay on the floor near us, but she can't watch us. When she was little,I'd tell her no every time I caught her looking. Sometimes she can hardly resist & it is so hilarious to watch because she will be sniffing the air & rolling her eyes in her head while she tries to see us without actually looking at us!

Pets Dogs AdviceNovember 30, 2010
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Dog Pees in the House When Excited
Dog Pees in the House When Excited
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Feeding a Puppy
Feeding a Puppy
🎄
🍂