House and HomeProduct Reviews

Using Sun Lamps During Winter Months

I would like to use Sun lamps during the cloudy winter months. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Holly from Richardson, TX

If you want to use it to fight the winter blahs or SADD then search for light boxes - they provide a substitute for the sun that we all miss during the winter. The usual recommendation is about 15-30 min a day.

If you are looking for sun replacement for plants then try your local garden store or search for some thing like Gro-lights. Remember to factor in your electric bill when deciding whether or not to light up your plant life.

It's really best to do lots of research before buying. Some brands exaggerate their claims. www.Sadlight.com sells the most brands, some very good, some just OK. One of the better ones is Appolo. Also, Amazon sells quite a few, and also has feedback.

If you are planning to use the sun lamp for keeping up your tan, remember one thing---NEVER EVER, USE IT WITHOUT HAVING SOMEONE THERE TO BE SURE YOU TURN IT OFF IN TIME!

I had one when I was in my 20's. I fell asleep under it (so easy to do with the warmth it puts out). To this day - more than 30 yrs later-I still have scars from the dangerously severe sunburn I got. I was under it for 45 minutes. The sunburn put me in the hospital for 3 weeks.

So Please! For your sake, don't ever use it without someone being there with you! They are great products, but also extremely dangerous, too.