Ask Guests to Bring Containers for Leftovers

When we get together for a big dinner, holiday or such, I ask everyone who wants to take home leftovers to bring some containers from home. Either Tupperware or butter bowls. That way at the end of day I am not giving away my dishes.

Source: Comes from frustration from trying to find disposable dishes at the end of the meal.

By Micksgirl from Paducah, KY

This is an excellent idea. We've often sent out our plastics and tupperware to never see them again even though some family live within a few miles.

We'll be doing this, this year. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, what an awesome idea! Thank you. Excuse me I need to go make some calls. Thanks again

Excellent tip! I only know one couple who will wash and return leftover containers, even butter tubs.

Excellent tip and if they don't bring their own containers, plates or at least tin foil or plastic bags then 'oh well too bad so sad no leftovers for you' ;-) Can't tell you how many containers and plates I've never received back even from next door neighbors :-o

When my brother in law died several years ago, I made a stop at our local Walmart and picked up several packages of leftover containers to take to my sister-in-law's house for sharing of leftovers. It seemed to be a much appreciated gift.

My mom saves the plastic containers from things like Cool Whip for the guests' leftovers. When it's time to clean off the table and divide the leftovers, she just goes to that cabinet, and she has them all in a bag. She never worries about getting a container back.

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't dream of asking guests to bring containers for leftovers. I keep plastic containers from cool whip, margarine, mayonnaise jars and so forth. I can always use a styrofoam disposable plate and cover it with foil, or just wrap solid things in plastic wrap and foil.

I always save plastic the containers from margarine, and cool whip. When I cook extra for my mom I put it in dbl tinfoil pie plates, and wrap aluminum foil over top, because she reheats the dish in her on the counter little reg oven. When I go to a family gathering I always bring plastic wrap, foil, and serving spoons, with a ribbon of masking tape on the handle, which is a tip I learned from my mother.

Hope these tips help. :)

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsNovember 25, 2009
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Frozen Juice Containers on White Background
Reusing Frozen Juice Containers
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers
🎄