Uses for Plastic Cutting Mats

I use wire shelving in our home. I like the convenience of these shelves. However, when using these shelves for bathroom or kitchen items, some bottles, jars, containers, etc. are too small and tip over easily.

To solve this problem, I use the plastic-type cutting mats that are sold in the dollar store. I have found three mats in one pack for a $1.00. The larger sizes can be cut to fit a shelf if needed. They are sturdy, durable and easy to remove when cleaning.

I like to have extra mats on hand. They can come in handy for many things in a home besides being used as a cutting board in the kitchen. They store easily.

These mats can be used under an old towel for dirty and wet shoes/boots near a door. I keep one on my computer desk for the computer mouse and tuck any notes or reminders under one. When doing a small messy project, I use one to protect the counters.

Keep some on hand, you will always find a reason to use them around your home.

By mkymlp from NE PA/USA

Very clever ideas and I love it that you use one as a mouse pad ;-)

Love this idea. I have some of those wire shelves too. Now, that you have reminded to look at these in a different way, I am definitely going to get a pack of these the next time I am out. Thanks.

I have also heard of people using these as liners for their dehydrator trays for small foods that may fall through when dried. They cut to size. Depending on the design on sheet, I would think they would also make a handy mat to put under your cat/dog dish too.

Could you please describe further what is a plastic cutting mat? I cannot make the connection in my brain! Thanks.

I buy these for sewing,crafts,appliques, etc. to make templates. The mats cut easy with sissors. A lot cheaper than going to a fabric store to buy template plastic and also very sturdy.joanie

I've now moved into an apartment from RV. Great use on the wire rack. I've found these to be so useful! My RV use was as a cutting board and so easy to cut to size for storage in those small cupboards.

I use these plastic cutting mats to put on cookie sheets, then I place berries, cherries, grapes and any other type of fruit on it. Pop it in the freezer. Each small fruit is then ready to be used individually when frozen, I put them in freezer containers and only get what I need. Works great for just having a nice frozen dessert during hot spells and when fixing desserts, I don't add any sugar to them, kids love them and there's no mess.

soph6767, check this link: http://www.amazon.com/MIU-Flexible-Cutting-Board-Set/dp/B00011RTE8

It's a little hard to see in the pic there, but these are very thin, and flexible ( ever see an x-ray film?tag=thrif06-20

Since I'm a quilter, I've been making quilted tote bags. I started using the plastic cutting mats or plastic place mats, cut them to size and make a sleeve to put it on the bottom of my tote bag and then sew in the liner. That way it's more sturdy on the bottom of the bag.

Plastic Cutting Mats
Uses for Plastic Cutting Mats
Organizing MiscellaneousMarch 5, 2010
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Felt covered bottle cap becomes Easter bonnet.
Craft Uses for Plastic Bottle Caps
Circle of Plastic Forks
Uses for Plastic Utensils
🎄