Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine

Category Ants
Trumpet vines produce a lot of nectar making them attractive to bees and ants. This is a guide about keeping ants off a trumpet vine.

My yellow trumpet vine had a lot of black ants this summer. Is that normal? I never noticed this other summers. They were so many that a few came into the house. If ants are normal, can I spray something on the ants, or will I kill the plant? My plant is huge, about 15', it surrounds my deck for privacy. Hate to lose the plant, but want to lose the ants.

Marilyn

I use plain dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Spray a couple of times every day and they will give up. I does not hurt the leaves. Good luck from Nova Scotia Canada

I don't know much about trumpet vines, but here's a thought--could they be like peonies--and need the ants for pollination/blooming? If so any treatment needs should not be applied to the plant directly. What about treating the foundation/windowsill (where ever the ants are coming in at)? My granny used to sprinkle borax (laundry booster) around the door and windows where she kept her peony bushes for just that reason.

Ants on your plants isn't necessarily a bad thing. They won't harm it, just annoying. I'd check to see if there's another type of bug on your vine, that sometimes happens when you spot ants.

From my experience, where there are a lot of ants, look for aphids.

I have a huge trumpet vine on my balcony and it also has lots of ants but I don't mind as they feed on the aphids and keep them under control.

I too have wondered if ants are actually needed to help open trumpet vine flowers, as is true for peonies. But there has been no response to this question. Please respond, if you can help answer this question. Thanks.