AdviceHome Improvement

Removing Wallpaper from Paneling

I bought an older mobile home. I want to remove wallpaper that has been applied to wood-like paneling and to the cabinet doors. Has anyone tried this? What did you use that worked?

By Drover from AZ

I haven't done this but it sounds like an awful lot of messy work. I'd take the lazy way out and try painting over it.

1) Don't paint over wallpaper. You'll end up with a mess, as the wet paint will loosen the wallpaper. Yikes!

2) Ask your question here, it's a forum that specializes in mobile homes (decorating, fix-ups, DIY, etc.):

http://www.mobi  repair.com/phpbb

That forum's been recommended here before, and it's a great resource for people in MH's!

You can paint over wallpaper, if it is well-adhered, but be sure you like the look of that. Some people paper walls on purpose to paint over them in old homes with very rough plaster. I wouldn't, but that is just me.

I would think that any wallpaper remover from the hardware store would work. Or, you can rent a steamer for removing it. I have only used the remover on painted walls, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on paneling, except that getting the glue off might be tricky. You may have to wash/scrub to get that off.

Wallpaper in mobile homes is different than what you put up in a traditional house. They glue it on at the mobile home factory and it hard to get of if not impossible. I don't know what your solution is but I wouldn't attempt this at all. We used to clean out forclosures years back and went into one that they tried it and it was a terrible mess.