Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Removing Wallpaper from Paneling

0EmailPrintFollowSave

I bought an older mobile home. I want to remove wallpaper that has been applied to wood-like paneling and to the cabinet doors. Has anyone tried this? What did you use that worked?

By Drover from AZ

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By OliveOyl 602 01/13/2010 Flag

I haven't done this but it sounds like an awful lot of messy work. I'd take the lazy way out and try painting over it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Melanie Jackson 1 373 01/14/2010 Flag

1) Don't paint over wallpaper. You'll end up with a mess, as the wet paint will loosen the wallpaper. Yikes!
2) Ask your question here, it's a forum that specializes in mobile homes (decorating, fix-ups, DIY, etc.):
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb

That forum's been recommended here before, and it's a great resource for people in MH's!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,503 01/17/2010 Flag

You can paint over wallpaper, if it is well-adhered, but be sure you like the look of that. Some people paper walls on purpose to paint over them in old homes with very rough plaster. I wouldn't, but that is just me.

I would think that any wallpaper remover from the hardware store would work. Or, you can rent a steamer for removing it. I have only used the remover on painted walls, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work on paneling, except that getting the glue off might be tricky. You may have to wash/scrub to get that off.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Elizabeth 200 01/17/2010 Flag

Wallpaper in mobile homes is different than what you put up in a traditional house. They glue it on at the mobile home factory and it hard to get of if not impossible. I don't know what your solution is but I wouldn't attempt this at all. We used to clean out forclosures years back and went into one that they tried it and it was a terrible mess.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes