Frizzy Hair from Scalp Psoriasis

What can you do for frizzy hair when you have psoriasis on the scalp? I have psoriasis and it affects my scalp. My hair isn't overly frizzy, but enough to be a pain. What can I do for it?

Leah from SC

I don't know if I'll be any help, but hey - I'll try.

My doctor has me on Nizoral shampoo... don't know if I really have psoriasis or just plain dandruff. To keep my hair from getting too frizzy, I wash first with a conditioning dandruff shampoo a friend gave me, to cut the oil a bit. Then I wash once or twice with the Nizoral, and follow up with one more light application of the conditioning shampoo.

You can also try just following the medicated shampoo with a "frizz-buster" conditioner. If you can't get "frizz-buster" conditioner for whatever reason, try regular conditioner. Suave usually has inexpensive products.

Frizzy hair isn't caused by psoriasis but rather the texture of your hair and/or climate.

There are lots of styling products on the market like 'Frizz-Ease' but before spending the money on a styling product try placing a couple drops of perfume oil or baby oil in the palm of your hand, rub your palms together and then rub evenly throughout your hair.

If your hair is thick or long you might need more than a couple of drops so just experiment a couple of drops at a time to see how much you need.

You might find that this helps. I bought a 2 ounce bottle of what is essentially soybean oil & tea tree oil, some vitamin E, & aloe vera. It's good for skin & scalp itching.You just massage some in & leave it on for a while. I would feel safe mixing up my own solution when this is gone. I might use sweet almond oil, because I have some, but probably any light natural oil would work (even peanut oil or safflower oil - I think would be OK).I have eczema. I saw the dermotologist, & he really didn't do anything for my head except recommend pine tar soap. I read that this is a known carcenogenic. Neutrogena makes a form of it called T-Gel. But I would not recommend it, plus it is very drying.

If your doctor has told you to use Nizoral, I think you have Seborrhea like I have. It's not psoriasis. In the past, I have spent a lot of money on my hair. But I've found that if I do less my scalp is MUCH better. I want to say its not only improved. Its HEALED. lol. I no longer need to use Nizoral every day.

The most important thing for ME to do is to wash my hair EVERY DAY. I have to use either Nizoral or Head and Shoulders in the Blue bottle, it's called extra strength or something similar to that. My condition worsens if I use conditioner or any hair styling products as they sit on my scalp. Because I don't work, I'm able to be home and just wash and wear it. When I go out of the house, I use mousse, but that's it. I blow it dry. Once in a while, I put a very little hair spray.

I found the very best thing I did for my scalp was to quit coloring my hair. I tried expensive foil highlights and my scalp remained very bad. But when I quit coloring my hair, I didn't need the conditioners. IMHO, it was the hair products and body oils in my hair that were causing the skin cells to clump. I once read in a book put out by Prevention magazine that dandruff is actually oily skin and not dry like many people think. I believe that is why washing every day maintains the health of my scalp and hair.

You may want to try rinsing your hair with vinegar or lemon juice mixed with a little water. That may help your hair and it won't harm your condition. It helps to maintain the acidic mantle of the hair. It gets rid of static electricity in the clothes washer so it probably will do that for your hair as well. its worth a try.

BTW, I've tried Neutrogena T Gel and it makes my scalp worse. I've tried other products supposedly for this condition and they've all made mine worse except for the Extra Strength Head and Shoulders Shampoo.

Best of luck

I forgot to remind you that dandruff is a yeast infection. Once you control the yeast growing on the skin, it improves. Also, I now wash my bedding in very hot water to disinfect my pillow cases and remove dust mites.

Again, good luck.

Thanks everyone.

To the person who said psoriasis doesn't cause frizzy hair; I know, I meant what would be safe to use for your hair when you have psoriasis. But thanks anyway :)

My hair is mostly straight with a little wave, and goes a little past my shoulders. It's also pretty thick. I'm currently on a medicated shampoo+conditioner just for my psoriasis.

Most things i'm reading say to only wash your hair every other day, but I can't do this due to how bad my psoriasis in my scalp will flair up.

I've also read to rinse the shampoo and conditioner you use with cold water. I'm wondering if it would be safe to use sunsilk de-frizz shampoo and conditioner after my medicated psoriasis shampoo?

I'm not in nizoral shhampoo. I'm on one specificially for psoriasis.

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Frizzy HairNovember 10, 2008
Woman scratching her dry scalp.
Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄
🍂