AdviceDogs

Preventing Dog From Getting Out Between Fence Slats

I have a wrought iron fence and a small dog that can slip between the slats. This means I have to go outside with her every time she goes to the bathroom to make sure she does not run away.

The fenced area is pretty big and it's a rental house, so putting up alternative fencing is not an option. I was thinking of trying something like chicken wire (only something a little more attractive!) up to one foot or so along the bottom and all the way around, as it could easily be removed. But I'm not sure what's out there as far as far as raw material options and also, how to secure it to the fence and the ground. Is there anyone out there that's done something like this that can offer some ideas?

By Celia

I used nylon zip ties you buy at the hardware store to put up a temporary fence for my chicken. I also put stakes in the ground that are three dollars per stake. I attached the welded fence wire to the three dollar stakes with zip ties also.

I have become a fan of zip ties! They are those little wonderful plastic things that you put one end through the other end and pull. They will not come undone but you can cut them off when ready.

You won't need stakes in the ground since you already have your metal fence. I would probably not choose anything plastic since the dog may chew it, but you could try it.

I found all my chicken wire, welded fence rolls at Loews.

I love how it is only temporary and I can cut the ties and pull up the stakes anytime I need to. I had to do it to outsmart Bruno from jumping into the chicken area of our front yard.

You can see a little of the rolled welded fence material in this photograph, and Phoenix the rooster loves it!

Blessings, Robyn