Dogs Fighting over Food

I have a problem with one of my labs fighting with the other lab over food. My husband wants to get rid of my dog because he is the aggressor. I need help to get him to stop. They both came from the same litter and they are 10 months old. Please help me. Thanks.

By Lisa from Grand Junction, CO

Have you tried feeding them separately? Maybe give one food while you take the other for a walk?

You could put the aggressive dog on a leash when they are eating, and attached the leash to a door knob.

Bless you - 2 ten month old labs? Whew. That's like twin teenagers. Feeding them in separate spaces would probably help. If it's really bad, the separate spaces should have a solid door between them.

We dealt with it that way - The 'old' dog ate in the kitchen, the rescue with food aggression ate in her crate and eventually in the x-pen we substituted for the crate - in another room.

If you break the pattern, then you can do some re-training, making them work for their food with good behaviors: sitting, waiting, etc. Good luck.

The Dog Whisperer, Cesar Milan has adressed this on his show. You and your hubby need to be the calm, assertive pack leaders. You are allowing the aggressive dog to be the dominant pack leader. & you become the butler who delivers food. Please start watching The Dog Whisperer on NatGeo channel or get his shows from the library or video rental.

For starters make each dog sit and stay before you give them the food. Also make each dog wait so the human is first to leave or enter doors before the dog. It teaches them the pack order of dominance. That helps with everything.

Daily walks as a pack are critical too, with the dogs not allowed to walk ahead of the humans. Dogs have to be at the side, so they don't think they are the pack leaders.

I was going to suggest feeding separately, too.

This worked for me: I put the food in 10 different smaller containers.

I had a Doberman/timberwolf who was one of 4 dogs. None of the other dogs could eat if she was eating. But when I divided up the food into several small bowls--She felt like there was enough food and she let the other dogs eat.

I use butter tubs for the extra bowls. I scattered the bowls in around the kitchen.

The leader of the pack thing works.

Pets Dogs AdviceOctober 18, 2009
Cats Fighting
Preventing Cats From Fighting
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
Indoor Cats Fighting
Keeping Indoor Cats from Fighting
🎄
🍂