Does Pre-tanning Prevent Sun Burns?

We are going to the Dominican Republic for a holiday in February and have heard that getting a pre-tan helps with not burning. Has anyone done it and does it help?

Gloria from Rosthern, Saskatchewan

Everytime I go somewhere hot I use sunbeds beforehand- mainly so I don't look like a milk bottle in a swimsuit, but I do notice it is much harder to get sunburnt.

You still need to take precautions though- you can still get burnt, but it takes longer. And remember to always use suncream- as even if you don't get burnt the sun still damages your skin.

Oh and don't make the same mistake I once made and get sunburnt before the holiday even starts!

NO! My brother-in-law was a firm believer in this. But he got a terrible burn every year and ended up covered with skin cancers. A tan may look healthy but it's actually skin damage(your skin is trying to protect itself by producing extra pigment) and leaves your skin more susceptible to sun damage. Don't try it!

A tan is pretty much a dead/dying/damaged layer of skin, you can still get burnt but if you tan you will probably notice a darker tan due to more layers of dead/dying/damaged skin.

If you want to look younger for longer SPF30+. The sun will damage your skin tan or no tan.

Use sunscreen. Any kind of tanning damages the skin, and our winter skin is very white, and burns easily. I suppose pre-tanning would help somewhat to prevent burning, as it does in the summer time a bit, but sunscreen with spf 30 is the best bet. Get waterproof sunscreen if you are going to be on the beach.

I found out pre tanning doesn't work not for me anyway. I had a very nice tan 1 year, we went to ocean city MD. for a week, the first day I fried, I even had suntan lotion on. This was even having tanned for several weeks. I went to Hawaii another year & the same thing happened. I recommend not pre tanning & useing lots of sun screen. Good Luck!

Others have said, I will repeat it-use sunscreen. Tanning increases risk of skin cancer and ages skin, regardless of whether you get a sunburn or not. As a kid, I did not use sunscreen, and I never got a sunburn-now I dread the dermatologist's visit. My dad had a melanoma that has recently metastasized. Don't risk . If you feel self-conscious, use a self-tanner. Now they make self-tanners with sunscreen.

Nope, just adds to your propensity to get skin cancer. Take a good bottle of sunscreen and when people say "Where is your tan?" say "Right where it should be, in the Dominican, I LIKE my skin and choose to keep it healthy and cancer free". More than likely, that will shut anyone up.

A little moderate suntan will not hurt anyone. I don't care what anyone says. I have tanned all my life. Yes, I have maybe a few extra wrinkles, but you know what you get them anyway! You might as well look good while you can. It is a very, very small window and then your looking good days are over.

Just be careful and don't get burned. Enjoy your vacation and soak up that sun, it is wonderful!

Use the highest SPF sunscreen you can get and wear a hat. ANY sunburn is potentially dangerous and it is the cumulative effects that will be harmful.

Having had all three kinds of skin cancer, including melanoma, I can't recommend any tanning. I'll be fishbelly white all the rest of my life, and happy about it. The last skin cancer I had cut out of the middle of my back cost $600 just for a simple chop-out. The skin docs have such a money-maker going. Yes, you might want to come back tan, but years from now you'll be saying "That Was Dumb!"

I even carry an umbrella if I have to stay outside in bright sunlight. When someone made fun of me I said "Count my crow's feet." Her answer "But you don't have any!" My answer "My point exactly!"

Hey everyone! I work as a carpenter, so I see A LOT of sun, and trust me, pre-tanning doesn't work. As someone who uses sunscreen every two hours daily to prevent a 'deep dark tropical farmer tan' try the Neutrogena SPF 50 or 75 non-greasy lightweight formula. It won't clog pores or induce breakouts like some sunscreens can. I love this stuff! I'm fair skinned and haven't had a burn since I started using it! Wanna look tanned? Try Banana Boats line of self tanning products. Not too pricey, they've worked great for me, and two other people at the drug store randomly pointed out how much they love them to me. Have a great trip!

I wear good spf very day and people are constantly telling me how perfectly smooth and beautiful my skin is. Just a little advice. I know a woman who tanned her entire life and she is 40 but looks 60. An orange raisin with bleach blonde hair. And no, pretanning will not prevent burns, don't believe the lies tanning salons will tell you.

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care SunburnsJanuary 14, 2008
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Pre Lit Christmas Tree
Setting Up a Pre-Lit Christmas Tree
🎉
🎄