Reusing Plastic Table Cloths

I am the president of a social organization in Port Ludllow and we hold several dinners each year for our members which range from 135 to 190. We use plastic table covers for two of the dinners because they are casual and the food is picnic like.

Our question is what to do with 15 to 22 plastic table covers when we are finished with them? They are not acceptable for reuse in serving food and the organization has no other use for them. Thank you

By Sherry from Port Ludlow, WA

Maybe you could go to your local Food Bank and maybe they'd let you put a folded cloth with each delivery.

I've done Food Bank before and these poor desperate and lonely people have next to nothing so maybe they'd like one.

Go to Women's Shelters, or Children's Hospitals. I bet they'd love to have a little color on the tables, or the kids could use them as a floor covering for projects.

Whatever you do, recycle them if nothing else. You're giving so much of your time and giving back to the earth too! God bless you.

1) As part of a team that put together monthly bulletin boards for the company, we used those dollar store table cloths as a background for the board themes. Perhaps you could find school teachers that would like them for the same purpose.

2) They can be used as furniture & floor coverings when painting a room.

3) You could offer them out to your local free cycle group - I'm sure there will be folks who will find uses for them!

My thoughts run to recycle them as for painting projects, Vacation Bible schools at churches would love to have them for art time, I was the art director in our local church (for up to 150 kids) for 16 years and LOVED getting table coverage from old shades to oil cloth table clothes! Made clean up at the end of the week so much easier for me.

The local senior homes might like them. I have also seen a simple 36" by 36" square made into an apron by simply folding over one of the corners for the neck tie and two more sewn on the other two corners, letting the 4th corner hang down the front of you.

They could be cut up for under outdoor planters, simple place mats, curtains and more. If they are stained, you could use them for potting plants, keeping your trunk nice in the summer sand or winter slush, and more.

Good luck!!

Depending on the weight of them somebody might want to use them for ground cover. I would find a freecycle site in your area & post what they are & you would be surprised what people will take & reuse. Maybe even a church/school to cover tables to do art. If you have a yard sale you could put them out for free & again I am sure somebody would re-use them.

EJ in Pa

I guess it all depends on how thick they are. I have seen many places with knitting or crocheting patterns for rugs, purses, etc that are made out of recycled grocery store bags. Know anyone who knits or crochets? They might make great gifts, raffle prizes or donations to shelters, etc.?

Better Living Green Living ReusingJune 5, 2010
Burping Baby
Making Burp Cloths for Infants
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table