AdviceCrafts

Drilling a Hole in a Mirror

Can i drill a hole in a mirror? I would like to mount a store bought metal sculpture (intended for hanging on a wall) onto a large mirror that is glued to the wall. Thank you for any help.

Tom from Michigan

Tom, would it be possible for you to hang the metal sculpture with a thin gauge wire through its hanging bracket and somehow connect it to the top of the mirror?

I bet "Gorilla Glue" would work. I've had exceptionally good results using it. I think it would hold a sink to a wall!!!

Is the sculpture light enough to use suction cups and stick it to the mirror that way? There are some pretty heavy duty suction cups out there. I would call a speciality mirror store and ask them, if you care about not ruining the mirror. They may even suggest what drill bit to use.

I do stained glass and know you can do this with a grinder, but they are expensive and not worth it for just this. I'd let a glass place drill the hole. That way, if the mirror chips or breaks, they will be responsible for replacing it. If you do decide to do it by yourself, wear protective eyewear and tape the mirror first--just in case it sends chips flying.

You might try using a Dremel tool with a diamond drill bit. It is supposed to drill glass.

I was wondering how chancy it is to drill multiple holes in a flat mirror. I want to inset LED lights into the mirror so the holes would be pretty far apart. Has anyone ever drilled a series of holes in glass? I would assume it would weaken the glass a lot more. Any thoughts?