CustardDesserts

Using Ready Made Custard in Fruit Tarts

Has anyone ever used store-bought ready-made custard in fruit tarts, rather than making an egg custard, then placing the fruit in the pastry case and cooking? Has the constitution of the custard altered or dried out? I would love to hear back.

Good baking from Australia.

By Rebecca from Australia

Hi Rebeca. I lived in the u.k. for many years and yes, I did use ready made custard in tarts with no problem. Just make sure if you are adding fruit, that it is well drained. one thing to remember is that in the U.S. Ready made custard is unheard of, for some reason.

That's why a lot of recipes use something called vanilla pudding which is probably very similar or else custard is made from scratch. I'm allergic to eggs so I never make "real" custard unless it's from a tin of custard powder. I've found that adding a bit more powder than the directions state helps to make the tart more successful when I bake. Hope this helps.

In the U.S. custard and pudding are two different things. Custard is always made with eggs and pudding is made from a cornstarch base - such as vanilla pudding, chocolate, etc. The ready made pudding that you can buy in the States is very similar to ready made custard (Bird's) that you buy in the U.K. Happy Baking.

Joan from Chesterfield, Michigan