KitchenHome Improvement

Renovating a Kitchen Counter Top

Category Kitchen

I want to know how to do different things to my kitchen counter top. Not replace but paint, add designs or other ideas.

Lisa

You can now buy paint for renovating counter tops. Ask at the home stores, not paint stores. As long as the counter isn't chipped it works well. If chipped you have to fill the area, sand it, seal it and then paint.

I'm a divorcee and when I moved into my first place I absolutely hated the counter top -yellow laminate with specks. After experimenting with epoxy (gel which comes in two parts and dries clear - you might recognise as the fake water in floral arrangements) I used it on my counters (both bathroom and kitchen- black is an awesome choice of color). I painted my counter tops then pour this on and allowed it to dry. It is still going strong after 3years and usage from my family of four plus the additional 5 or so neighborhood boys who visit daily.

Good luck.

Do you put pots or flat irons directly on your counter top after using the epoxy gel? I'm looking to paint my kitchen and bathroom counter tops and have young kids that I know won't pay attention to whether or not they're placing hot items onto counters. I've already decided on the colors but need to know what top coat to put down. HELP!