Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Ink from Countertops

Does anyone know how to get dried ball point pen ink off a Formica counter top? I did not realize it leaked and left it on the counter top. It has been in the 90's.

I tried paint thinner with some success, but cannot remove it all. Of course the counter top is about a year old and light colored.

By dduff from Adirondacks, NY

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By cbabbitt198302/17/2014

Baking soda and water worked well for the pen ink on my formica countertops. My countertops are cream and it was black ink. Did take 3-5 minutes of scrubbing.

By Chris09/13/2009

I know that one of the readers said that baking soda and water didn't work for her but it always does for me. I just sprinkle some on a damp cloth and rub it on. It's taken off ballpoint ink and the food coloring ink that results from unpacking groceries on the counter. And it won't scratch the surface!

By Anonymous [848]08/24/2009

Thanks for letting us know dduff :-) Not very many people come back to share with everyone what and if solved their question so am appreciative :-)

By Diane [3]08/24/2009

Thank you all for your suggestions. The nail polish remover worked. I used a cheap paint brush from a child's art kit to minimize the spread of the acetone and used a paper towel to blot it.

By Anonymous [848]08/23/2009

I was going to say nail polish remover too but make sure it's acetone not non-acetone.

By OliveOyl08/20/2009

Try hair spray, rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Ink from Countertops

I had a stain caused from water mixing with ink on some piece of junk mail. We tried baking soda, vinegar. Nope that didn't work. Then I thought hard for a minute, and ran to get my nail polish remover. It went like magic, like on TV when they are promoting something new and fantastic. Just pour it on, just be mindful of the type of counter you have.

By Lisa Hallman from Ajax, ON

RE: Removing Ink from Countertops

Hi,
Just be careful using nail polish remover, as I tried that, and it took the finish off of my countertop. It left a smooth spot where the rest of the countertop is rough. (05/02/2006)

By MaryBac

RE: Removing Ink from Countertops

I have always used a little bleach on a wet paper towel and let it soak for just a minute. It usually wipes right off and it's never hurt my formica countertop. The sooner you can catch the stain though the better. (05/02/2006)

By nana6x