Getting Rid Of Pledge Smell From Dresser

I used Pledge Allergen Trapper polish on my wood dresser, and it turns out I'm allergic to it. I've been airing them out for weeks, trying to get the smell out, but it won't go away. Does anyone know how to get the smell out?

Katie from California

Try hotish water and a little New Dawn liquid. Leave rag as wet as you think the wood will take without damage or wring rag almost dry. Working quickly, wipe where you put the Pledge. Wipe with a clean rag wrung from warm water to quickly rinse. Dry with a soft clean cloth. Repeat until you have removed the Pledge product. Wood furniture can be safely cleaned with soap and water if the joints aren't soaked.

Finish up with a Pledge-like wood furniture product that you have used without issues,. Good Luck.

Thank you for the idea! I'll try it

Have a family you trust member do this for you: Take a soft rag & pour some rubbing alcohol on it or 100 proof Vodka (has less smell) then rub the alcohol back & forth gently across your dresser. Don't leave it in one spot to long or it could damage the wood. But if you do this the alcohol will cut through the pledge & get rid of it. You may have to do this 2 or 3 times, but only do a bit at a time because you want to cut through the pledge but not damage the wood...

Something stronger than the alcohol is fingernail polish remover. The kind NOT made for artificial nails. This is made from Acetone. This could be bad for your allergies too... But if you can use fingernail polish remover, & the Alcohol doesn't work then you can try this. Be sure to open a window while you are cleaning the pledge from the dresser!

---> To make your wood look nice when you are done, use mineral oil. You can buy it in the drug store isle where they sell "laxatives". But "Baby Oil" is the same thing as mineral oil, but with with a scent added. So you can also use baby oil. Just wipe the oil on, let it sit for 10 min, then wipe it off with a soft towel... This should cause no allergy problems. But, do NOT use food oils (like safflower or corn oil) as they'll get rancid.

Simply use fine steel wool pads, you can buy at the dollar store. In the future, you can use Formbey's lemon oil. As well, I have bad allergies, the Formbey's products have been wonderful! Good luck!

I'll try them all! Thanks!

Had a problem with some large wooden bowls that I brought back from Africa. They had obviously not been treated properly and kept developing what looked like a mold. I heard a tip hear on the TV clean the wood with Lighter Fuel, it seems to have done the job. Don't know if this will work for you, but I wish you luck

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMay 9, 2008
Old Dresser
Recycling an Old Dresser
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Getting Rid of the Smell from a Plugin Air Freshener
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
🎉
🎄