Making a Quilt With Men's Ties

My boys now in their 30's went to catholic schools, 12 years each. They had a contest who could wear the ugliest tie, well I have all these ugly ties and would love to return them to them as a lap blanket or a quilt. I do not sew much, I have a machine, but I would be willing to try! Does anyone have a not too hard way of doing this?

(Submitted via email)

Could some one send me easy directions on how to make a quilt out of men's old ties? I have started sewing ties together large end, then small end together, 4 ties apiece. It looks neat but I am afraid when i go to put all these 4 sections together it will lie curved instead of straight, I plan on sewing them all onto a full size sheet, but would like some suggestions before I go any farther thanks to anyone who can help. Colleen

Rather than sewing the ties to each other, try the following. Open each tie and remove any stiffening. Iron open, leaving side and point seams unironed. Sew one tie, face up to one of the finished short edges of a sheet the size u want(suggest twin for lap quilt, double for throw)Take a second tie, place it right side to the first tie and stitch the seam to the left edge of the first tie. Fold it down and press. Continue in this manner until sheet is covered or you run out of ties. You could leave the points of each tie hanging over the long edges to make a prairie point type edging. Just sew across the line of points on each long edge close to the finished edge of the sheet to hold them in place. You could also try weaving the ties in a square (anchor all outside edges by stitching close to them and topstitching to a ready made fleece throw( I get mine for about 6.oo at my local Hart store)

Search for your question"how to make a quilt with mens ties"there's pictures & lot of info there,good luck.

Necktie keepsake quilt.
Making a Quilt With Neckties
Crafts QuiltingMarch 9, 2009
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A business suit with a white shirt and red tie.
Saving Money on Men's Suits
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt