Picking Up Roadside Litter

Picking up litter during the hot summer months is not my favorite thing to do, but I'm proud of the sections of roadside my husband and I keep clean. When we know the highway mowers will be in our area soon, we make a special effort to keep the litter picked up.

It not only makes the highway beautiful after the mowing, it makes the job of picking up the litter much easier and faster. We have a friend that gives us a call to let us know when the road in his area is being mowed. Usually the mowers are in our area within a week.

When picking up litter during the hot summer months, we get out before 10:00 AM, while it is still cool and the sun is not damaging to the skin. We get some good walking exercise. Some folks even wave and toot their horn as they pass by, which lets us know they appreciate what we are doing. It's a great way to start the day.

This is a check list of things I have on hand when picking up litter:

• large trash bags
  • Walmart bags
  • bag holders
  • reach extenders
  • cell phone
  • sun visor
  • cotton garden gloves
  • pocket knife
  • bottle opener
  • water
  • insect repellent
  • sun screen

What do you need to keep the road in your neighborhood litter free?

By Litter Gitter from NC

Good for you to keep our roadsides clean. I wish more people would be so thoughtful and determined to keep the USA clean. Better yet don't litter. I for one appreciate your efforts and say a big thank you.

Kudos to you and your husband - what great earth partners you are! As an environmental educator, I'm going to share your post with my students in the Dallas area as an example of what dedicated folks who love their city/area will do to keep it clean, despite the fact that the litter came from someone else! You are awesome!

You and your husband are the best of the best! I so wish people wouldn't litter in the first place but bless your hearts for being willing to clean up after the thoughtless slobs! BTW, I absolutely love your new choice of name here! :-)

Amazes me that there are still people out there who actually throw garbage out their car windows! I had a friend who told me he witnessed someone throw a McDonald's bag out their window...my friend picked up the bag and followed the person to a gas station, knocked on their window and said "hey, I think you dropped this!". Wish I could have seen the look on that person's face! Thank you for what you're doing!

LitterGitter, you and your hubby both deserve medals for not letting Earth Day be a once-a-year event! I also wish more people cared as much as you. Wonder how those slobs would feel if the tables were turned on them and their own yards became public trash cans?

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Litter will always be a problem because there are so many sources. Keeping it picked up is not that hard to do. Even children can do it.

I'm posting a picture of our 2 grandchildren that was taken several years ago when they were little. They wanted to pick up litter for Earth Day. We found a nice safe place to clean up and let them see what a difference they could make. Both of them filled 2 bags before they got tired and wanted to do something else.

In this picture you can see that they were using a wooden embroidery hoop to hold the bag open which worked well for them.

Deeli, I agree, my name change is much better. I really didn't like Hate Litter. Litter Gitter sounds much more positive.

Photo of young volunteers.
Volunteering in Your Community
Better Living CommunityJune 7, 2011
volunteers collecting trash in a park
Making a Litter Bag Holder
Picking a Christmas Tree
Picking a Christmas Tree
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Cat exiting a litter box.
Cat Litter Mat Reviews
🎉
🎄