Garlic in My Canned Pepper Rings Turned Blueish

A few weeks ago I canned banana pepper rings. As well as the banana pepper rings, I added fresh garlic and onion. I poured a hot solution of vinegar, water, and salt over all, put on the lid, turned it upside down to seal the jar, then put it in the fridge once it cooled down. My pepper rings will have to be refrigerated all of the time.

My question is: Why did my crushed, fresh garlic turn blueish-looking?

By Juanita from Enid, OK

It's normal. Your garlic has absorbed colour from your pepper rings. It happens in several recipes that have garlic in them.

When you crush, cut, or bruise garlic it releases an enzyme from the disturbed cells that reacts with the sulfur compounds in the garlic and makes it turn blue or green after a while. There are ways to prevent the reaction such as cooking the garlic. Garlic that has been stored at proper temperatures is also less likely to turn green or blue as it ages. The green garlic used to freak me out so I took some time to figure out what's going on. It is still safe to eat.

Food and Recipes CanningAugust 25, 2010
Brazilian Pepper Tree
Getting Rid of a Brazilian Pepper Tree
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Spicy Soup With Peppers
Fixing Soup With Too Much Pepper
Woman with bad breath covering her mouth.
Getting Rid of Garlic Breath