Painting a Table with a Distressed Look

I have a table that I believe is Oak. I bought it at a yard sale a couple of years ago. Anyway, I want to paint it to look distressed white or cream. Is this even possible? Where would I even start? I obviously know nothing! Any help would be appreciated.

Melissa from Pleasant Grove, UT

Anytime I'm looking for anything specific, I go to

Google. Just type in what your looking for like "How

to paint a table with a distressed look" Hope this

works for you.Good luck!

I painted a cedar chest with regular latex paint. I then bought crackle finish from the craft store. You paint it on, let it get tacky, and then paint another color over it and it instantly crackles! You could use this on your table and use different colors or even white on white. After it is thoroughly dry take some sandpaper and gently sand the edges to give it a worn look. If you don't wait until the paint is thoroughly dry this won't work, the paint will ball up. If your table has a shiny finish on it, I would suggest that you sand it to dull the finish and use primer on it before any painting. The process all takes longer but then end results are worth it. Most importantly, take pictures of before and after to share with us at Thrifty Fun!

To add a distressed look, simply paint the piece of furniture and take an electric sander to the wood. It will sand the paint off the high spots. Also, you may want to use a flat paint instead of a gloss.

Since you admitted you don't know what you're doing, stay away from the crackle finish!!! It's difficult to get the look you want with the crackle stuff. Save that for a smaller project so you can get the hang of it.

Here is the easiest way in the world... 1. Distress the finish - a few nicks with a hammer. a few small nail holes (looks like old worm holes) and so on. Some poeple use a chain and hit the surface. 2. Paint the light base coat in off white, cream, what ever color you want (but lighter) paint leaving brush strokes, (strokes should mimic the wood grain). 3. When dry, take a wood stain in a soft brown, or a brown paint (thined with water or a thinning compound) and rub it over the surface with a balled up rag. Rub extra where the natural stains would be darker, like near the edges, where dust would be harder to clean... Do it lightly and add more coats to get the right look. I have used this technique many times, and you can't mess up. It's so easy. The stain fills in the brush strokes, and darkens inside the dents and dings. It's a great effect. If it's a big surface, you can brush on the stain and rub it off as well.

Looking for info.on painted corner cabinet w/ a distressed and rubbed look. Color I would like on the outside is cream or off white. The inside of the cabinet will be a medium toast. Also lightly distressed. I hope you can help. It is a new piece of furniture. Raw woodMaple inside and Pine outside.

Thanks.

I want to paint my kitchen cabinets with a distressed finish (much to the dismay of my "you must give it to a designer! "husband) but I notice the doors have a sort of a coating on it that is peeling off at some corners. You can actually lift off the coating (polyurethane?) from the base. I think the cabinets are not real wood just composite.Can I give this type of a finish a distressed look and can I use the technique M.Lynn has suggested?

Distressed Furniture
Giving Furniture a Distressed Look
Home and Garden Home Improvement Furniture RefinishingJune 8, 2006
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
White changing table with drawers below.
Uses for a Baby Changing Table
🎄