Scenery: Scottish Clootie

We visited this 'Clootie' Well when we were on holiday. A 'clootie or cloot' in Scotland is a cloth. Legend has it that if you or someone you know has an illness, you hang a cloth of theirs at the well and they should get better. As you can see, many people have tried this ancient remedy! This was only a fraction of the cloths all around the well. They varied from sweatshirts, dresses, scarves and even pants!Legend also has it that if you remove one of the cloths, then you take on that person's affliction!

Source: Photograph I took near Munlochy in the Black Isle, Scotland

By Marion from Scotland

Thanks for sharing. What an interesting thing. I am partly Scotch & will remember this.

I miss Scotland! It's my favorite place in the world!My oldest son was born in Montrose nearly 35 years ago. I hope to go back to visit someday. Thank you for sharing your picture.

Grandma Jan & Kato the Wonder Dog

Edinburgh Castle, Scotland
Scotland Frugal Travel Guide
Photos SceneryNovember 12, 2009
Scottish Deerhound
Scottish Deerhound - Breed Information and Photos
tabby colored Scottish Fold kitten
Scottish Fold Breed Information and Photos
Whistler Peak
British Columbia Frugal Travel Guide
Colorado Frugal Travel Information and Photos