Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Soundproofing the Laundry Closet

We have a small open closet in the kitchen where the clothes washing machine is located. I just replaced the old one with a Kenmore. This made a lot of noise. After speaking with the store clerk, she suggested we swap it out for another one of the same model to see if the original was a dud. At the price we paid, the clerk said it should not be making this much noise.

The replacement is indeed, quieter. But, this washer still makes more noise than my previous Maytag, even though it has a Stage 2 ($$) extra quietness feature. Might be called Quiet Pack 2, or something like that. The clerk told me that today's washers are direct drive, rather than the old style of belt drive, so they are noisier.
Any opinions?

Could we soundproof the closet? I suggested to Dh that we put a rubber mat under the washer on the floor, but he didn't think it would make much difference as the 'closet' extends to the ceiling and has shelves with goods above the washer. Too much open space and no door possible as this is the short, narrow hallway to the garage. Opposite the washer we have the dryer with the same set up. Naturally, it is all located in the kitchen and can't be moved.

I'd like to keep the replacement washer and just soak up the sound.

Holly from Richardson, TX

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Tisnick (Guest Post)04/29/2008

Bonded Logic's UltraTouch is a denim insulation manufactured in Arizona. Their R-13 has an STC of 45, the R-19 a 57 - almost double the sound deadening of traditional insulation. You can find the products' latest outreach effort at www.deniminsulation.net/video.html

By Jared. (Guest Post)04/26/2008

Not a timely response I know, just stumbled across your question. I am a trained Commercial Carpenter, & am currently helping a friend build a soundproof room for studio recording.

You can get soundproofing mat blocks that can be set underneath the washer. Also, soundproofing the walls in the laundry room (as mentioned above) with Natural Cotton Fiber Insulation (recycled denim) provides superior soundproofing over regular fiberglass insulation, with the added benefit of being more healthy than fiberglass, still fire retardent, and "Green". Ultratouch is the name of the denim insulation product.

You can also purchase antivibration products to prevent the shaking washing machine/dryer from transmitting vibration/noise through the floor & walls.

One place I've found that you can get both of those items is SoundAway.com

By dan stringer (Guest Post)04/17/2008

I recently added to an existing laundry hook up and faced a similar situation. I didn't want to "build anything so I went to home depot and got the best underlay they had available for underneath laminate flooring $35. When I installed it I used four layers instead of just one. and glued "soundboard" in two layers and sheet rock screws inch 1/4 length. and then inch 1/2 sheet rock to finish it off with the same adhesive and 2 inch sheet rock screws to sandwich it all together. Lastly I remounted the outlets and covered the outlet boxes with a foam ductwork tape. Works great and the material were relatively cheap. I still can use a sound deadening mat but the neighbors downstairs say they can only hear the water drain!

By Noella [9]02/04/2008

carpet underneath the washer and dryer, and also you could use cardboard egg cartons to line the walls. Professional sound studios used to use egg cartons all the time.

By Steve [4]02/02/2008

You could "Google in" sound deadening materials. I know for a fact that, denim insulation (made out of recycled denim jeans) is an awesome sound deadener and insulater as well! It is a bit more expensive than fiberglass though. The down side is, you'd have to tear out the drywall and attach it between the studs of the walls. If you have an unfinished basement ceiling(or drop ceiling) or crawlspace under your laundry room, you could staple the insulation under it as well. I'm not sure if Home Depot or Lowes sell denim insulation or not, but they can probably get it. Try "Googleing" denim insulaion or soundproofing laundry rooms! Hope this helps! Have a good day, Steve from Blair, Nebr

By Kat [7]02/01/2008

I agree, something underneath would help, by dampening the vibrations some. Also you mention you cannot use doors. There are these accordion-pleated contraptions you can buy, places like Home Depot or Lowe's should have them. They come in various sizes, and with tracks, which you install at the top and bottom (or just the top) of the opening. There is a small knob or handle you use to slide this screen open and closed, and it practically disappears to one side when it is open. Therefore it does not take up space you do not have. Good luck! Oh, by the way, I launder most of my clothes, except anything really dirty, on the gentle cycle; quieter and uses less energy. Also, making sure your load is full makes it more quiet than washing just one or two items. Again, good luck!

By joan pecsek [88]01/30/2008

My dad's oxygen generator made enough noise to keep everybody awake at night. The technician who did monthly maintenence said put a piece of carpet under it. We did and the difference was unbelieve! So I do think putting something under the washer would help. If the shelves are a problem remove them and replace with hanging plastic baskets. As for new machines beig nosier than old ones, I don't buy it. My mom's new Maytag is much quieter than her old one.