Browsing: Building with Recycled Windows

Building With Recycled Windows

Glass windows cannot be recycled commercially. They get destroyed. Stores replace their l l/2 thick double windows. I found 5 of them and used them to fill in my back porch. They were 300 to 400 lbs. Two men had a hard time lifting them.

They were free so I completely enclosed my porch making it into a sun room that is wonderful.

I collected free windows for my front porch and made a window wall with a plexiglas double roof purchased from a RR damage place at $12/sheet. I got shorter 2 x 4 wood from a building recycling bin so I only had to buy the long ones. It saves a lot of heat and makes a wonderful place to nap, read and enjoy the outside without being outside.

I am sure everyone can locate a window replacement store nearby. Patio doors come in double panes. I remove the aluminum--recycle it--and put the glass in two by four frames with one by twos to hold them in. I calk every crack inside and out.

I even built a glass greenhouse in my back yard and put rows of pine garland across the roof with pine cones and flowers woven in between and down the sides of the window. These rooms are lovely and make my house warm and very livable.

By Jill

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Do you know how to cut the glass in patio doors? Is it just like cutting any other kind of glass?

Where could I get a used double glazed window in the Chesham, Bucks. area, size 180 x 120 cm for use in a mobile home? A small patio door would do.""

These ideas are priceless to me! I just renewed my back deck and doorway (storm damaged) with recycled materials obtained from trade and barter agreements. Next I will glass in the front porch for wind protection. Thanks for your project ideas. I "live on" Social Security disability, so everything has to be next-to free.

A woman stand in a room built using recycled windows.
Building with Recycled Windows
Home and Garden Home Improvement Recycling MaterialsNovember 27, 2004
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
Garden Pond
Building a Garden Pond
Installing a New Window
Hiring Someone to Replace Your Windows
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 9:06:04 AM on 10.0.0.227 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.