Fading Black and White Shirt

My son has a black shirt that is fading and I would like to bring it back to the bright black color. The only problem is that the shirt has white in it as well. I do not want the black to go into the white.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

By Marcia

Sounds like it's time to get another shirt, good luck.

I am not sure if this will help, but I don't think it will hurt. Wash shirt in either water with maybe 1/4 cup dissolved salt and rinse well, or preferably, a cup of white vinegar in washer at least med full of water. Rinse well. Either of those is supposed to liven or set dyes. May not help, but might be worth a try.

How have you been washing the shirt? Is it skinny stripes or wide stripes? If it is the wide stripes I would have been washing it with dark clothes because you can't depend on the dark colors not fading onto other clothes. In doing that the white would have become dingey. It could well be that the fading is just actual wear and tear. When I think of black and white shirts I think of western ones like you see a lot of on TV and here in SD.

Cheer, I believe has a special detergent to prevent blacks from fading, but too late for that now. I think it is time to get a new shirt. I don't think it is possible to renew the black.

Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceMarch 17, 2010
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
Nice light blue dress shirt.
Making Shirt Collars Last Longer
🎉
🎄