Making Lolly Jewelry

I wish to make a wearable (not edible) necklace from lollies. I've always loved the old fashioned Licorice Allsorts, layers of bright colour sandwiched between licorice and cut into small squares or rolls. I'm wondering how to put a hole through the middle to string and covering with resin to totally enclosed the lolly so it won't decompose.

The problem is, how would one prevent the resin from filling the hole, because it's very thick? How to go about this as well, I can't imagine coating one side at a time, although this might be the way to go. I'd love to hear from anyone who is creative in this area or using other lollies as wearable (not edible) earrings, necklaces, and bracelets. Your friend in need, from Australia.

By Rebecca from Gold Coast, Australia

Lollies are lollipops on a stick? If so, are you wanting the stick and everything to be encased in resin? I think it is most common to glue a bail onto resin pendants, just because it is easy. But I've read that a hole can be drilled into the resin, too.

Have you already experimented with resin? I make jewelry, but haven't tried resin (I imagine between my daughter and three cats we'd have an accident!). Here is a link to jewelry making techniques from fusionbeads.com Scroll down to the bottom quarter of the page, and they have lots of info on resin.

http://www.fusionbeads.com/beadingfaq/bead_techniques.php

If *I* were to try, I think I'd dig out my old Dremel to try and drill a hole. Expect several failures while experimenting. I wish you luck, and hope you find the right technique for your creation!

If lollies are a soft candy, there are directions for making jewelry from them on the web. Google making gummy candy jewelry to find them.

I make resin jewelry for a living. The best way to make a hole in a resin lolly necklace is to coat the lolly first, then drill a hole through both using a dremel or hand drill. If you're certain you want the hole first, I would use a soldering iron or a really hot poker to melt a hole through the candy, then place a straw through the hole with at least 2 inches protruding on either side. Dip the candy into the resin allowing the excess to drip off, and allow it to harden. It make take 2 dips to coat it properly. After it is secure within the resin, snip off the extra straw poking through and use a paint brush to cover any exposed candy with resin (clean it right away with acetone and a cloth) and let it harden. Still, drilling the hole after is your best bet to keep the candy from cracking.

Crafts JewelryJanuary 29, 2010
Cleaning Jewelry
Cleaning Jewelry
Cleaning Costume Jewelry
Cleaning Costume Jewelry
Making an Ice Lolly Brooch
Making an Ice Lolly Brooch
Making a Jewelry Box
Making a Jewelry Box
🎉
🎄