Use Self Cleaning Oven for Hard to Clean Bakeware

Do you have broiler pans or cookie sheets that have build up on them so bad that no matter how hard you scrub them it will not come off? Don't worry, my husband showed me a way to clean them where I don't even have to touch them. Do you have a oven with a self cleaning feature? Well if you do, the next time you fire that puppy up, place your broiler pan, cookie sheet or any solid metal pan in there before you start (no nonstick please) and let the oven do all the work for you.

When the oven is done, just let the pan cool and wipe with a damp cloth. There ya go, shiny as the day you bought it. It costs so much in electricity to clean your oven you might as well get more bang for your buck.

<b>Editor's Note:</b> Lightweight or non-stick pans may be damaged by high heat.

Is this for aluminum also, or only stainless steel?

Thanks for any help with this.

It's also terrific for those cast iron pots and pans that have built up a crust over the years. They come out like new. Of course, you have to season them all over again, but it is well worth it.

I wouldn't put any light-weight metal in there. I ruined my bowls under the burners from the stove-top by putting them in to clean, and I even did a short timed cycle.

I use a product called "Iosso Mold & Mildew Stain Remover". I use it on my boat. It works great for lots of things. For a pot that I burned, I put a little very hot water in the bottom, sprinkled the powder in, let it sit a couple hours. Everything came clean with no scrubbing. I buy it on their website

Praise the Lord everyone! Thank you so very much for this helpful hint. I used this idea just yesterday and cleaned my oven and Industrial Aluminum Cookie sheets ( that were in terrible shape). After the cycle was done I just washed them really well, wiped down the inside of the oven and both looked like new.

Has anyone tried this with the range top drip pans?

The heat from self cleaning oven on coated steel pan can cause the coating to give off a toxic fume ~ kills bird,etc. so that is good advice not to put that in. Also my self clean oven has you take the shelf racks out before you activate cycle ~ I forgot one time with new oven and the racks were scorched and so pans and dishes do not slide as nicely onto and off of rack!

A used cookie sheet in need of cleaning.
Cleaning Cookie Sheets and Bakeware
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesFebruary 21, 2008
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
Keeping Your Oven Clean, Young Woman Cleaning her Oven
Keeping Your Oven Clean
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Using Silicone Bakeware
Using Silicone Bakeware