Spool Christmas Ornament
Start now and make ornaments for your tree. A lovely way to use up your empty thread spools! Works equally well with plastic or wooden spools, big or small. Great to use as package decorations or to give as gifts to friends/co-workers!
Approximate Time: 10-15 minutes
- Christmas gift wrap paper
- empty thread spool
- chenille stem/pipe cleaner
- small Christmas ball ornament
- Cut a strip of Christmas gift wrap paper wide enough and long enough to cover the body of the spool (the area where the thread used to be.) You can also use scrapbook paper or ribbon if you prefer.
- Glue the paper strip to the spool overlapping the edges
- Sit the thread spool upright on the wrong side of another piece of your paper and trace around the spool end.
- Cut out two circles of paper and glue one to each end of the spool.
- Cut a tiny opening in the bottom circle of the spool covering. This will be made at the location of the spool hole.
- Put a little glue around the top of the small ball ornament and stick it into the spool hole. (I used hot glue for this part so I wouldn't have to wait for the ball/spool connection to dry.) If regular glue is used, allow ornament to rest on its side until ball/spool connection is fully dry.
- Cut a chenille stem to 6 inches (longer or shorter if you prefer) and bend in half.
- Put glue on the stem ends and insert into the top circle of the spool covering at the location of the spool hole. You can feel the hole if you press on the end of the spool with your finger. (You can also use a ribbon or other type string as a hanger.)
These ornaments are super cute and very lightweight. Use your imagination to create truly unique ornaments.
By Pam from McMinnville, TN
October 8, 20090 found this helpful
Cute idea....Thanks for posting. Think Kato and I will make some with the grandkids!
Grandma Jan & Kato the Wonder Dog
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on October 24, 2016 at 4:36:28 PM on 10.0.1.236 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us