Cures for a Scratchy Voice

I got over strep throat. My throat doesn't hurt anymore, but I still have this really bad scratchy voice and you can't understand what I'm saying. What are some ways to get that to go away even if it is just short term?

Kali from Dallas, NC

Best Answer

Rest your voice even if it's just for a short time. A hot steamy shower will help too. Gargle with some salt water, and try one Tbsp of honey mixed with one Tbsp of lemon juice, it soothes the throat.

Best Answer

I'm a vocal music teacher and have had experience with this kind of problem, both with myself and with students and fellow teachers. Don't speak in a low voice and don't whisper, as it clashes your tender vocal cords together as much as shouting does, and can cause nodules (like calluses on your vocal cords) when they are still sensitive from an infection. You should try to use breath support and speak "high in your head" (we call it the mask; resonating in the sinuses and not the throat, chest or nose) and in a slightly higher voice than you might feel is normal for your speaking voice. It may sound like Mickey Mouse in your head, but it will protect your vocal cords. If you have a friend who is a choir director, ask them to demonstrate.

Rest your voice as much as possible! And if you have a computer handy, "talk" by typing.

Hope it's better soon,

My sister is having the same problem right now. She didn't have her voice back 2 weeks after being better so she went to the Dr. They gave her an inhaler for asthma and told her she couldn't talk for two weeks. They said that her vocal cords needed rest and if she didn't do it she might have to have surgery. Well she has 4 children so the not talking thing is unrealistic. She has been using the inhaler and makes sure that she speaks in a very low voice (no yelling) and her voice is finally coming back. You might consider going to the dr.

you can try tea with lemon and honey.

1- tea is hot better than cold drinks

2- lemon helps break up saliva

3- honey coats your throat.

4- talk as little as possible

There are a few things you can try for a scratchy voice:

1. Avoid hot/spicy food.

2. Take 1 tbsp of honey 2-3 a day. (This really helps!)

3. Sip warm water

Get a saline nasal inhaler from the store-- any store, any brand. The most common is Ocean Spray. Several things are going on-- one being dry winter housing. Use the saline spray at least 4 times a day and especially at bedtime. Saline can be used with any other medication without harm.

good luck

The lemon honey works especially when mixed with chamomile tea. Especially if like myself your voice is a result of a black mold started sinusitis infection that drenched my voice for three month's with post nasal drip.

Maybe do what the good ol doctor tells ya. I guarantee it to work.

You may want to try using a humidifier at night, especially during the winter time and if you are using electric heaters. The prices can range from $30-$35 but it may help break up any phlegm producing in your throat during sleep.

Hot tea for a scratchy voice.
Remedies for a Scratchy Voice
Health & Beauty Home RemediesFebruary 12, 2007
tagless t-shirt
Removing Printed Clothing Labels
Fluffy white towels.
Making Towels Soft
A dog in a kennel at the pound.
Remedies for Kennel Cough
Man with Beard Stubble
Softening Beard Stubble