ReusingGreen Living

Reusing a Mattress Pad

I use mattress pads that are no longer usable for beds to make baby changing pads, bibs, stroller blankets, etc. There are many other uses, I am sure, but I sew for our less fortunate and young girls that have had babies. The Animal Rescue League also uses these for the puppies and kitties. Have a great day!

By cherished from IA

Answers

How can I recycle a mattress pad that I can't use on the bed anymore? It's the kind with elastic like a fitted bottom sheet. I'm interested in any reuse options. I am aware of using them to cover plants in the fall and using it for rags, but I was wondering if there is anything else for which it could be used. Thanks.

By Judy from Laurel, MT

Answers:

Reusing a Mattress Pad

Dog bed, pot holders; padding for most anything. You could use it as padding and protection for your dining room/kitchen table under a nice table cloth. Cut it to fit. I have one that's ripped at the corners and I use it on a blow up mattress when my grandsons come to visit. Don't ever throw it away as you will later find a use for it. (08/20/2010)

By TXBetty

Reusing a Mattress Pad

Old mattress pads work great as batting for a light weight blanket. (08/20/2010)

By beckybd

Reusing a Mattress Pad

I have used them for the "batting" to make Christmas stockings. It works great since it will not move around. (08/20/2010)

By towersmom

Reusing a Mattress Pad

Padding protection to replace the one on your iron table. Fold it into or three folds and it will be "thick" enough for ironing. Disregard it when there are to much stains on it, cut it into enough large pieces to be used for cleaning (dusting, cleaning in the garage.) (08/20/2010)

By OlgaMarie

Reusing a Mattress Pad

Why not use it in the middle of a quilt. Doesn't have to be anything fancy just two pieces of fabric, one for front, one for back and sew the pad to the back of the first material and then sew in the next piece wrong side out. Turn it and finish off the edges. And if you can't do that donate it or put in in freecycle. Any quilter would love having it.
(08/20/2010)

By maphisx7

Reusing a Mattress Pad

Other than the great quilting ideas etc, I know that Humane Societies are always looking for things like that.
Cut up in cage size pieces, they are always happy to get old towels, blankets, rugs, m pads etc. (08/20/2010)

By jeanstreetr