Home Remedies for Dog Worms

What can I use at home to get rid of my dog's worms? I have spent lots of money on different dewormers from the store and still he has worms. I would like to try something from home. Please help.

By Lora from Rio Vista, CA

Best Answer

Go to a feedstore and get a bag of diatomaceous earth. Call first and find out if it's sold in small sizes. It cost me $2 for a 1 pound bag.

It can be mixed in the animal's food or applied to its coat. It works and it's cheap:

In case a bug decides to take up residence in their fur. You can protect them and yourself with Fossil Shell Flour (diatomaceous earth). When lightly rubbed into their coats it is very effective against fleas, ticks, lice, and other pests on pet dogs, cats, and their premises. You can puff it into the soft furniture in your house, the rug and all over the basement too.

Diatomaceous Earth Kills Pests Naturally - It is a mineral dust mined from quarries that kills the insects when they come in contact with it and it does vaporize or go away over time. Once it's in place it works every time and it's nontoxic..

It can also be used as an organic wormer and will kill any worms or parasites the pets may have.

* Cows/Horses get 1-2 oz per day

* Sheep/Goats/Hogs get 1/2 oz per day

* Cats get 1/2 teaspoon per day

* Large Cats - 1 teaspoon

* Kittens - 1/4 teaspoon

* Dog 100 lbs + - 2 tablespoon

* 50 - 100lbs - 1 tablespoon

* Under 50 lbs - 1 teaspoons

* Mini dogs - 1/2 teaspoon ..." -

How many times do I treat my dog

I would try pumpkin seed oil. Buy the capsules and open one up and put on his food. I don't know how long you would do this but its a vegetable oil. I think that pumpkin seed iol is okay for dogs. It prevents parasites and tapeworms in people so why wouldn't it work for dogs. Dogs can have pumpkin can't they? use 1/2 capsule in am for puppy. Give it a try.

Cathy from MA

Intestinal worms, Diatomacious earth. Natural. Must be food grade. Even for humans. "They" say 75% of humans have worms. Vets hate me. It cuts down on their sales of poisons. Vaccine poison, worm poison, skin poison. My old fashioned vet loves me for it. Heart worm, you must see and treat via the vet. Very dangerous. If you suspect heart worm or live in an area that has heart worm you must test via the vet.

Hello Lora. I have to agree with "K9Cats". I've never heard of a safe and sure fire home remedy for worms in pets and I don' think it is worth the risk to experiment with store brands or home cures. Please work with your vet to solve this problem as it is not that costly and offers a high return of effectiveness. I am sure you will be glad you did! Good luck and best health wishes for all.

When it comes to parvo, I can tell first hand that you can save your dogs from parvo at home but it is still costly and you must take care of them every 2 hours or so and if you don't catch it in time you will lose them anyways. It is very important to run an IV into them for fluids and to administer a medication that I purchased called "Parvaid and Bactrum" as ordered on the instructions.

You can look this medication up on line and see the costs and providers for it. The only way you can get an IV runner and fluids is through your local vet or animal clinics. Some provided them at a recent cost and some will not. Then every 2-4 hours you run some fluid and administer the medication.

For further information lookup Parvo on the internet and home remedies, I know that you will also need malasses, tea and some other herbs in your house that helps fight the bacteria. The molasses goes on the tongue a few times a day. I have saved 3 of my dogs this way. But please don't forget that the best way to save these dogs is go to the closet Tractor Trailor Supply store and you can purchase a "7 in 1" shot for your puppies at six weeks before they even get sick and this will prevent the parvo.

September 8, 2012 Flag

Is there a home remedy for worms in dogs?

By Melissa

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Food grade diatomacious earth. Food grade ONLY. D E is sold for garden and other but it has poisons in it. D E is actually good for ailments. Inexpensive, natural, non-toxic and can be spread into carpet if you choose. Google for lots of info. I give it to my animals all the time. It is for intestinal worms not heart worm. Suspect heart worm? Vet immediately. I used it for me as I heard 75% of or population has worms. I had no symptoms but after about 2 weeks I passed a rope of round worms.

Food Grade DE. very white & fine. Do not breathe or get into sinuses or eyes. of your pets, either! Dust for fleas!! I add to pet food to rid worms. It's a great bug killer! This is a link that gives more info... http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

What kind of worms are you talking about?

In the best interest of your Dog the only person who can tell you about treatment for worms of any kind is your Veterinarian.

March 2, 2011 Flag

What home products can I buy to get rid of worms from a puppy. I don't always have money to buy wormer, so what home remedy can I use other than garlic?

By xmas from Houston, TX

January 10, 2011 Flag

Our dog of 3 years looks like skin and bones, he is fed 2 times a day. Are there any home remedies?

Here is advice for home remedies from the ThriftyFun community. You should always seek medical advice from a professional veterinarian or the Humane Society, often they can help with financial assistance.

Might Be Worms

It sounds like your dog has worms. Although the best solution would be to have your dog checked out by the vet (there are several different types of worms) you could also visit a reputable Vet supply house or pet supply store. They have worm remedies that are fairly effective and not expensive. Worms prevent any food the dog consumes from being absorbed and robs the dog of it's nutritional intake. Get it treated right away!

By Gailanne

Might Be Food Allergies

Your dog may also have allergies to his/her food. I had one that was allergic to beef. I had to cook chicken for him. It was hard to keep weight on and lots of ear infections.

By Connie

Try Over The Counter Remedies Or Humane Society

If it's parvo, there is no home remedy, he needs immediate medical attention. But it sounds like worms. You can try over the counter remedies, the most common being tapeworm. Check your local SPCA/Humane Soc. to see if they offer any assistance.

By Joan415

Ideas For Assistance

Call vets and vet schools nearby and tell them your situation. See if they have any ideas. Call local pet store chain, too, ask them if they have any advice for getting treatment for the dog when you can't afford.

Type "Dog rescue" and where you live into Google see if any non-profits come up and call them. There may be a charity or service in your area that may be able to help.

Contact your local Humane Society and see if they can offer assistance. Maybe they'll have a look at the dog.

If you go to church, ask for advice and help there.

Spend an hour on the phone and it may payoff. You likely will get some free advice and may find some assistance for your situation.

Keep your head up and keep working at it!

By Stan

Yahoo Group For Pets

Join the CS-Dogs and Cats group on yahoo. The people on it are knowledgeable and caring. The purpose of the group is to help people with colloidal silver and their pets, but I have seen lots of topics on it, so why don't you join it and see what they say. It is not a crime to be poor and you may find a way to help your dog so that you don't have to give him up.

By Ann

Garlic Powder To Keep Away Worms

In the future to help keep the worms away, put a sprinkle of garlic powder in his food. It not only repels them, it expels them too. A neighbor saved the lives of a dog and a cat of mine just by telling me this. Both of them pooped out the most ugly looking wad or worms a few days later and lived long lives afterward.

By Linne

Editor's Note: Veterinarians list garlic as a poison to dogs. Many lay people swear by it. Please do some research on this subject before deciding for yourself.

Acidophiles, buy it over the counter at your local pharmacy.

Worms Or Intestinal Blockage

It sounds like TAPE worms or an intestinal blockage. Is he eating and having NORMAL bowel movements? If so that is a good sign. Is he coughing? If so, he could have heart worms in the final stage. The dog needs to be checked by a vet, and maybe you could make payments.

By Lafaughn

Tapeworm Remedies

My dog threw up something yesterday, it was a tapeworm (easily the same as pictures from the web) my wife went to the vet and came back with four pills that cost 55 bucks. We have two dogs, I've been unemployed for a long time, I sent her back to the vet for the money. I won't give my dogs tobacco as that will possibly be harmful.

I will try crushed pumpkin seed shells at the rate of 1 and a half table spoons once a day for four days, if that does not drag anything out, I'll use the long grasses that I see them chewing on our walks. I'll chop it to eight inch lengths and mix it thoroughly with their moistened meals for four days failing that I will try that same grass treatment only using congealed fat as someone else suggested, failing that I'll go on line and purchase the drugs required at a huge price reduction over what the vet charged. But I will not give my dog tobacco.

Also after reading a ton of stuff about this I will be ridding the dog house of fleas (re-paint inside ) and get the fleas off the dogs as well. I don't see them scratching but I understand that tapeworms and fleas are found together. Hope everything comes out all right!

By BlueMountain

Worms Are Easy To Cure

If it is worms it is easily fixable. I have raised a lot of puppies in my time and from time to time puppies and dogs will acquire worms. But there are even over the counter remedies you can get at Petsmart, Walmart, Target, or some grocery stores that sell pet products. This item may cost you from $5 to $10

Home Remedies for Dog (Worms)

For anyone who has a thin dog from worms, a great way for them to put on some weight is to make Satin Balls. Its a very good canine diet, loaded with protein and fat. the recipe makes a very large batch, so if you wish just cut all the ingredients in half for smaller batches.

10 pounds hamburger meat [the cheapest kind]
1 lg. box of Total cereal
1 lg. box oatmeal
1 jar of wheat germ
1 1/4 cup veg oil
1 1/4 cup of un-sulfured molasses
10 raw eggs and shells
10 envelopes of unflavored gelatin
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together, much like you would a meatloaf.

Divide into 10 quart freezer bags and freeze.

Thaw as needed and feed raw.

Make sure to keep the dog on flea meds, as fleas carry worms, and what happens is the fleas bite, so the dog turns around and does that funny little nibble on their skin to stop the itching, they in turn ingest the flea, and the nice worms get passed along to them. So if the dog has fleas and worms, treating the worms will do no good until the fleas are under control. its a vicious cycle.

By K

Home Remedies for Dog (Worms)

Pat: This dog most likely has a problem with anal glands. These are small glands on each side of the rectum that are most often expressed with bowel movements. Sometimes they become slightly (or greatly) plugged and the dog will slide or rub to relieve the itching this causes and to empty the glands. Sometimes they get infected and can require surgery. A groomer or experienced dog person can express them for you or show you how or you can call a vet and ask for an appointment for "anal gland expression".

At my husband's office in rural Oregon this costs $5.00. This may or may not be all that's needed but it's a place to start. It's not the fault of the kennel. I'd get the glands expressed and see if that takes care of the problem. Start simple and advance if you need to. (11/15/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

Home Remedies for Dog (Worms)

Use Pepto Bismol. Often times people mistake symptoms caused from tapeworms with Parvo. The symptoms are vomiting clear gooey sometimes yellow liquid along with bloody stools and very lethargic affect. With a good swallow of Peptom Bismol this improves the dog almost instantly. They will pick up and be playing within minutes. You can do this daily if needed. Only a mouth full is needed. If the symptoms continue get tapeworm medication as soon as you can, until then keep Pepto on hand. It has worked every time for me. Who knows it could work for Parvo too. Try it and see. Please let me know if this helps. ksh 376 @ Yahoo . com (remove spaces) to cut down on email phishers. (11/16/2008)

By Kimberly H.

Home Remedies for Dog (Worms)

Hi, I have tried the dewormer from the vet with no success. I tried the tobacco and it does work! I cut a 1cm piece off a cigarette and crumbled it into the dog food for 3 days, the 4th morning a dead tapeworm and a lot of dead eggs came out. I am going to do this for 7 days every 3 months to keep my dogs and cat worm free. (04/14/2010)

By Magritmajt

Home Remedies for Dog (Worms)

Food grade diatomacious earth. Works on all intestinal worms. I use it, even for me. Safe. (07/30/2010)

By muttmom

January 7, 2011 Flag

Our dog of 3 years looks like skin and bones, he is fed 2 times a day. I thought maybe he may have parvo, we have no money for a vet, are there any home remedies?

November 1, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
A veterinarian holding a dog.
Remedies for Worms in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthMarch 2, 2011
Worm in the Lawn
Getting Rid of Worms in the Lawn
growing tomatoes
Worms Eating Tomatoes
Remedies for Worms in Cats
A worm on pavement.
Getting Rid of Worms On Your Driveway