Washer Makes Loud Noises During Spin Cycle

My LG front load washing machine WD8015C is spinning louder than a jet engine ready to take off. Could it be the belt? It looks OK.

By Robert from Australia

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

June 7, 2012 Flag

My washing machine has been making a very loud noise while on the spin cycle, sounding like a train. I called a repairman and he advised it would cost about $300 to fix it. He stated something is going on with the barriers. My washer is only 5 years old and he advised cheap detergent was the culprit. He stated it was not wise to use cheap detergent with the new washing machines. I have never heard of this; have you?

By Onesummer

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My washing machine made a loud squealing noise on the spin cycle. I called a repairman and he found a piece of wire that had gone through one of the little holes in the tub. My husband remembered that he had put it in the pocket of his shirt. I don't remember how much it cost to have it repaired but it was not a shocking amount.

This was a learning experience for me. Now before putting the clothes in the wash, I check all the pockets.

I would call a different repairman.

My 10 year old top loading Simpson washing machine started making terrible screaming noises when spinning - I was sure I was in for a new washing machine. But being a bit frugal, decided to check if I could improve it. I managed to undo the nut thingy which holds the plastic agitator on. I took the agitator part off, and noticed the drain area had lots of gritty stuff round it, some pieces bigger than others, small stones. So cleaned it all out and refitted the agitator. First wash cycle after, not perfect but much improved. A few more cycles later and no more screaming - could be just luck but cheap and fairly easy to do

October 22, 2013 Flag

My 4 year old GE Profile washer has just started making the same really loud noise in the spin cycle that I've read so many others have experienced. We have verified that this is not a balance issue. The machine (and the loads) are level. I've never liked this washer and hate the idea of a major repair bill. I would like to know what is the worst-case scenario if we do not have this fixed. I hate the noise, but could live with it. I would rather buy a new washer than put multiple hundreds into a fix for this one. Please advise!

By Chery L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know how it works in your country but where I come from, I can call a (trusted) repair man who, for a very small charge, can come over and give an estimate. if that is possible, you can make your decision afterwards.

January 4, 2011 Flag

My washer has recently started making a terrible noise during the spin cycle. It is spinning and the noise stops as soon as the cycle is over. I've had the washing about 12 years now and have never had another problems with it. Any ideas?

By TXMess from Arlington, TX

Answers:

Ask a friend/handyman to check it out. May be something slipped down inside, could be the belt getting ready to snap, etc. Proactive repair cost less than reactive repair. (07/21/2010)

By TandT Grandma

We had that problem with our washer when it was 3 years old. Turned out to be the bearings. We opted to get a new washer (to fix it cost 1/2 the price of a new washer). (07/21/2010)

By nicjon14

Something else I immediately thought of: are you absolutely sure the load in the tub is balanced? Hubby's 46 year old son is still learning that one. :P (07/23/2010)

By JustPlainJo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 17, 2010 Flag

I have a 4 yr. old GE Profile clothes washer that makes very loud noises during the spin cycle. What is causing my washer to make this noise? Everything else works just fine.

By Oralia from Lytle, TX

Answers:

Sometimes a washer will make that clanging, off-balance sound if it's no longer level. There should be short feet/pads on each bottom corner; these are usually self-adjusting when you first install the washer, but after a lot of use you often have to get down there and fiddle with them so the washer is level again. Other reasons could be a washer that's consistently overloaded, or a loose belt mechanism on the tub. (02/25/2010)

By PupperMom

A washing machine is made to last longer than 4 years! PupperMom is right; it either needs to be leveled. It's being overloaded, or the belt is slipping. (02/26/2010)

By Maryeileen

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersJanuary 4, 2011
open washing machine
Spin Cycle Not Working on Washer
Washing Machine
Washing Machine Moves During Spin Cycle
Dog Hearing Loud Noise
Dog Afraid of Loud Noises
clothes in washer spinning
Washer Making Noise During Spin Cycle
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 5:44:50 PM on 10.0.0.234 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.