Freeze Browned Ground Beef

I recently had a 'duh' moment. My homeworker was here and it was our cooking day that week. We were almost done, the only meat left out of what I set out, was a one pound roll of hamburger. I had not planned anything special for it, so I told her to just brown it, drain it, and put in freezer. I could use it at a later time when she wasn't around.

Then the 'duh' came, why not do this more often. I can use it for BBQ, soup, pasta, etc. when I needed to fix my own full meal. I would have some on hand, ready to use on the nights my 14 year old granddaughter is here and wants to fix supper. She likes to make Hamburger Helper type meals, so now it will be easy when I set it out to thaw for that night. Sometimes it takes awhile to realize the simplest ideas.

By Knitter from Bloomington, IL

It really isn't safe to refreeze meat after it has been thawed and cooked.

It is safe to freeze cooked meat after it was frozen and thawed prior to cooking. Not a problem. I often cook 5 or 6 lbs of hamburger and put into smaller freezer containers for use later.

For many years now, I have purchased ground beef in bulk packages. Then I brown it, drain the fat and package it in smaller packages. I then freeze these. It makes dinner time so much easier to just grab the package out of the freezer for chili, casseroles, etc. with the meat already cooked. No mess from that at cooking time. I have wondered why more people don't do this. Thanks for sharing this.

March 11, 20100 found this helpful This group is a great place to get recipes & learn about freezing food! Cooking & re-freezing meat is perfectly safe, you can even re-freeze it without cooking if it is still cold & has ice crystals in it!

Freezing Ground Beef
Freezing Ground Beef
Food and Recipes FreezingMarch 10, 2010
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
$10 Dinners: Soft Tacos, Browning Ground Beef, Hamburger
Cooking Ground Beef
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes
Browned Butter And Cheese Pasta
Greek Browned Butter And Cheese Pasta