Advice For Taking Care Of Roses In Spain

I live in Madrid, Spain and I have some roses. Right now they look really terrible because I have never really taken care of them. Yes, I am ashamed of myself and now I want to do everything I can to learn on how to take care of them properly and have some really nice roses. I know nothing or very little about roses and much less about taking care of them. But I want to learn. I want to get these roses in somewhat into shape and start experimenting. How do you suggest I start? I do want to mention that there are about 4 months of really hot summer weather like in the 90-100 and there are about 8 months of really cold winters with some snow. I am a basket case, but I am willing to learn. Anxiously awaiting for your response. Thank you. The Alien!

I live in South Caroilna but I lived in Connecticut for many years whre it was very cold in winter, my roses always grew. They love acid, a natural way to do this is to save your used coffee grounds in a container. When you have enough simply work it gently into the soil and water. In hot season make sure you water on the ground in a slow trickle. And remember mulch, mulch, mulch. Pine straw, or needles work well as they are loaded with acid.

In winter, cut them back, almost to the ground. They will come up in the spring. Good Luck

Home and Garden Gardening RosesNovember 11, 2007
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
Heart of a pink rose.
Growing Roses in a Tropical Climate