Repairing Dry Wall After Wallpaper Removal

Can I use an electric sander with fine sandpaper to repair wallboard after removing 3 layers of wallpaper?

By Joyce from Chatham, MA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Prime the whole think with Kilz. Then skim coat, sand and repeat until the walls are smooth. Then prime and paint. This sounds like a lot of work but it's the best way to get nice walls again.

Best Answer

Yes, you can use an electric drywall sander and drywall grade sandpaper. If you don't have a drywall sander and can't afford one you can rent them. (Or you can buy a manual drywall sander block and paper). Be sure to cover absolutely everything in the room and close off the other rooms because that dust makes a huge mess even on small jobs! Also, be sure to wear a mask because those particles are not good for your lungs!

I don't know what area you took the paper off but I had uneven walls in my bath and could not afford to have them dry walled. I had old plaster. So here is what I did. I used brown paper that I had crumpled up and torn and spray painted and also used copper leaf paint and applied and then used a coat of varnish to protect it You can get an idea of this from the picture, I hope. If you need more specific directions, let me know.

When ever you sand sheet rock be sure not to sand to much. You may end up with the surface of the sheet rock with a fuzzy or suede look. This will not go away with painting. If the wall is damaged from the removal of paper it may be best to skim coat the entire wall.

Rygobus

Answer

Removing wallpaper with a scraper.
Repairing Drywall After Wallpaper Removal
Home and Garden Home Improvement Dry WallMarch 8, 2010
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Young boy sitting on a step ladder cleaning a wall.
Homemade Wall Cleaner Recipes
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 27, 2016 at 9:04:21 PM on 10.0.0.16 in 307 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.