Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Repairing Dry Wall After Wallpaper Removal

Can I use an electric sander with fine sandpaper to repair wallboard after removing 3 layers of wallpaper?

By Joyce from Chatham, MA

Best Answers

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Ben Borgman01/13/2012

This really helped me with my drywall

By Anonymous [848]03/12/2010

Yes, you can use an electric drywall sander and drywall grade sandpaper. If you don't have a drywall sander and can't afford one you can rent them. (Or you can buy a manual drywall sander block and paper). Be sure to cover absolutely everything in the room and close off the other rooms because that dust makes a huge mess even on small jobs! Also, be sure to wear a mask because those particles are not good for your lungs!

By (Guest Post)08/01/2007

Prime the whole think with Kilz. Then skim coat, sand and repeat until the walls are smooth. Then prime and paint. This sounds like a lot of work but it's the best way to get nice walls again.

By Scotty10/08/2010

When ever you sand sheet rock be sure not to sand to much. You may end up with the surface of the sheet rock with a fuzzy or suede look. This will not go away with painting. If the wall is damaged from the removal of paper it may be best to skim coat the entire wall.

Rygobus

By Elaine [129]03/12/2010

I don't know what area you took the paper off but I had uneven walls in my bath and could not afford to have them dry walled. I had old plaster. So here is what I did. I used brown paper that I had crumpled up and torn and spray painted and also used copper leaf paint and applied and then used a coat of varnish to protect it You can get an idea of this from the picture, I hope. If you need more specific directions, let me know.

RE: Repairing Dry Wall After Wallpaper Removal

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Repairing Dry Wall After Wallpaper Removal

I took down old wallpaper and exposed sheetrock down to brown paper. It was suggested to use heavy duty wall liner and paint over that. I do not want textured walls or wallpaper. If I use the wall liner only: Do I still need to repair the walls and primer them before adding paper? Also, is wall liner a good option instead of textured walls and wallpaper?

Momofboys from Chattanooga, TN

Prime the whole thing with Kilz. Then skim coat, sand, and repeat until the walls are smooth. Then prime and paint. This sounds like a lot of work, but it's the best way to get nice walls again. (08/01/2007)