Eliminating Standing Water Due to Clay Soils

I have standing water problem in the middle of my yard. There is about 2 to 3 inches of soil and the rest is clay. How do I fix this problem with losing the farm.

By over my head from IL

I am also from IL. I had the same problem, so every fall when I would rake leaves, I would till them into the low spots. It helps with drainage and helps fill in the low spots.

We have heavy clay soils in PA, too. I used to have a huge apple tree, tall like an old oak. The apples weren't good, but I tilled them into the soil every year. Another "fix" I've used is to add sand, peat, and topsoil, then till. If you're gardening in the area, you can also add horse manure for fantastic results (I grow gourds). With either method, the amount of topsoil increases and drainage improves markedly. Good luck! --shoe

Home and Garden Gardening SoilJuly 15, 2010
Overdue Bill
Changing Bill Due Dates
Papier Mache Clay
Papier Mache Clay Recipe
Making Sand Clay
Making Sand Clay
A photo of a grass lawn.
Growing Grass in Clay Soils
🎄
🍂