Dog With an Ear Infection

I have a 6 year old Pit Bull/Lab who has yeast infections in his ears. I want to use the vinegar, but he will not let me touch them; he runs. Any ideas on how to get him to let me touch them?

He is a very timid dog since all this and I don't want to get bitten. I have tried the vet thing and wow the money I have spend for it to go away for a few months and come back again. They will not give meds without you coming in even when you have been there for years and they know the dog's history. I can't afford any more bills. I have 2 kids and a husband out of work.

By Michele from Nashville, TN

You need to get a tube of Panalog (sp). It's for ear infections and is soothing whereas the vinegar stings and inflamed ear.

When we have to put drops in our labs ears, it takes two of us. My husband holds the dog (he kind of hugs it real close), and I put the drops in. I've also started putting a couple of tablespoons of yogurt in the dogs food everyday, and this seems to have stopped the ear infections. You have to use the real yogurt with live cultures, that comes in the larger tub, not the kind mixed with fruit, etc.

If might be wise to invest in a muzzle so that you can safely handle your dog and to teach it that the ear thing isn't so bad. Besides feeding plain yogurt try using Vagisil cream for female yeast infections, you can buy it over the counter at all drug/grocery stores. Put small amount (pea size) in the ear and massage the ear to move the cream down into the canal. Make sure that you are always talking to your dog in a low firm voice and give him lots of praise and a few treats after wards. Make the treats something special that you only feed at ear time. I use bite size boiled cow heart.

Ditch the vinegar. It stings. No wonder he fights it. Ask pharmacist to call vet for Malaseb. Vet refuses? I would change vets. The only thing the vet wants is a perpetual money source. Bet he pushes vaccines like crazy. You can order some prescription vet meds online without vet involvement. I see other suggestions including archives. Suggest improved diet. Corn is infamous for causing problems. Wheat and soy not too good either. Grocery store food all contain corn usually as first ingredient. Inexpensive home cooked with some raw is best. Lots less than grocery store food. I cook up a simple pot of good stuff if you go into my past posts you will see some good info on lots of things. Write if you need. Hugs for caring about your furkid. Happy that you want to stop the pain.

I have my dog on all nautural plain yourt. It has kept her ears from infections now for over a year. I spoon 4 level tablespoons on her food every morning. The yeast is inmune related. The yourt builds up the inmune system.This does not work overnight. It takes time for it to take effect up to several months. It is a slow process. But it is a good start .

In the meantime buy some Zymox otic Hc1.0% drops. I get it at amazon. It costs around $10.00 and it works just in a couple of days. You have to clean all that gunk out of the ears. I now keep some on hand for flair ups. Once the yourt kicks in you can decrease the amount but the dog needs to stay on it. This is still cheaper than having to buy meds all the time.

I also switched dog foods to lamb and rice which also helped with the yeast infections.

Good luck! I hope it works for your dog. Nothing thing worked on my dog's ears. I payed lots of money on many meds for my dog for years untill I found this.

February 20, 2011 Flag

I have a 14 1/2 yr old Cocker. Her ear flap is covered again in black crud and the ear canal red and moist. I do use drying ear creme and have cleaned the black from the flap before, but it is back. What is it and is there anything I can do besides visit the vet?

By El from Jacksonville

Answers:

Dog With an Ear Infection

Mix 16 oz. isopropyl alcohol, 4 tablespoons boric acid powder, 16 drops Gentian Violet 1% solution [all can be purchased at pharmacy]. Mix all in the alcohol bottle and shake well. Use an empty ear cleaner bottle or eye dropper. Wipe out excess. Takes about a week to work. (10/13/2009)

By JoanDogs

Dog With an Ear Infection

This sounds like ear mites and it's not something to mess around with by trying home remedies or over the counter meds and especially since your poochie is older. Please take him to your vet (it's better safe than sorry) and please read this link as to why:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/article.aspx?id=3387#

Also, once your baby's treatment is started it would be a good idea to wash his bedding and any of his favorite spots to sleep because the mites will still be in those places. (10/13/2009)

By Deeli

Dog With an Ear Infection

The dog is suffering. This is no time for amateur treatments. You must take the dog to the vet. After the infection clears up, clean the ears once a week. Beagles, cocker spaniels, etc. have long, hanging ears that need to be cleaned often. I use equal parts white vinegar and water (warmed a little). This is what my vet advised. Once the infection is gone, the vinegar should help keep the ears clear. Your vet might have a better maintenance idea. Good luck. (10/14/2009)

By Stngray

October 12, 2009 Flag

How can I get rid of fungal infections in dog's ears?

By rachaelanna from Maershfield

Answers:

Dog With an Ear Infection

I went to a holistic vet who told me that if your dog is overweight or has chronic ear infections, it is allergic to corn. Is your dog's food corn based? Is it's treats or dog biscuits? I use natural apple cider vinegar that comes from a health food store to clean my dogs' ears out. It is antiseptic, anti fungal, and anti inflammatory. Use it diluted with water (about 1 tablespoon in a half-cup of water).

MOST IMPORTANT - DO NOT use regular vinegar from the grocery store. It is a pine tar derivative, not real vinegar. I use the brand Bragg's. Any health food store will carry real vinegar with the "mother" in it (that's the cloudy, live part of the vinegar). Good Luck. (08/13/2009)

By mrsschmeckman

Dog With an Ear Infection

I read on this site a while ago from a person who works in a dog kennel that they have used "Listerine" on their dogs for years. I don't want to discourage you from a vet which would probably be the best thing to do, but I was really strapped for money and I tried it, and it worked! My dog didn't have a bad infection but he had been trying to scratch his ears something fierce. I figured that if it wasn't a full blown earache it soon would be, so I soaked a cotton ball with Listerine and pressed it to his ears to let the liquid seep in gently and I did this for 3 days 3 times a day and it's been cleared up since. Hope this works for you. (08/14/2009)

By wondering

Dog With an Ear Infection

If it is truly fungal, you need a fungal cream. Anything for athlete's foot, vagisil (yeast, in woman product aisle) will work. Then feed your dog yogurt, oh about 1 tbs a day. Works wonders. Boy, and I wouldn't put Listerine or vinegar on anything sore. Ouch! Lots of luck. (08/14/2009)

By pjcustar

Dog With an Ear Infection

I heard that a few drops of strong tea in the ear 3x a day helps. I put athletes foot medicine in her ears several times a day and my dog's ear cleared up. But I should have kept it up for a longer time. I used it for a week and I guess some of the yeast stuff remained. So now I have to do it again. This time I am doing the tea and the athletes foot stuff. (08/15/2009)

By sassier299

August 12, 2009 Flag

Looking for a treatment for dog ear infections.

Brenda from San Diego

Answers:

Dog With an Ear Infection

I know all too well how expensive vets bills can be, but this baby needs to be seen first and foremost by a professional. You may want to check out CareCredit.com for a credit card that can only be used for certain needs such as dental, plastic surgery, and vets. And without interest for up to a year or more, it's a wonderful card to have. Hope this helps. Bless you and your babe. (07/17/2008)

By MissmyHannah

Dog With an Ear Infection

It is important to take the dog to a vet immediately. Do not try to cure this yourself because as other posts stated you don't know if it is yeast or mites. I am sure you can find a vet to work out a payment schedule. Lot of them work with an interest free credit card that you can sign up for right away. If this continues your dog will lose it's hearing and continue to be in pain. I have several dogs that I treat with the Zymox as a preventative. But that is given by a vet. Most likely your dog needs a shot to relieve this. Please take it to a vet. (07/17/2008)

By Cosy

Dog With an Ear Infection

"Don't" use aspirin, it can kill your dog. The vet told me the only safe painkiller for dogs and cats is codeine, dosage adjusted for their weight. Keep phoning all the vets in your area until you find one who will help you with either a reduced fee or a payment schedule. My vet has a list of "good Samaritan animal lovers" who all chip in to pay the bills for people who can't afford vet care. Call your local animal shelter and ask if they have these great people who can help your dog.

Editor's Note: Tylenol is the one that is highly poisonous to pets. I gave my dog baby aspirin for years for her arthritis (prescribed by the vet) and she lived to 18 years old. (07/17/2008)

By catastrofy

Dog With an Ear Infection

I would call Petsmart, I know they have vets there. See if they have any ideas for you or if they would be willing to put you on a payment plan or maybe even do it for a reduced rate. But the dog needs to be seen by a vet. I had a Cocker that had chronic ear infection (common in that type of dog) and after she had enough of them, all I would have to do it call and they would tell me to come pick up medicine and not charge for an office visit. Best to you and your doggie. (07/18/2008)

By Mythi

Dog With an Ear Infection

There are 2 methods for yeasty/damp ears that we have used:

Swimmers ear remedy found in drugstore

or

This recipe was provided to me many years ago by a Cocker spaniel breeder (Cockers are notorious for having ear problem with their long heavy ears)

Blue Power Ear Treatment (Passed on by Pat Etchells, a Cocker breeder, who recommends warming up the solution before putting it in the ear by placing it in a cup of very warm water for about a half hour or so.

INGREDIENTS:

Mix together in alcohol bottle and shake well. You will also need to shake solution every time you use it to disperse the Boric Acid Powder. To use, purchase the "Clairol" type plastic bottle to
dispense solution to affected ears.

TREATMENT: Evaluate condition of ears before treating and if very inflamed and sore do not attempt to pull hair or clean out ear at all. Wait until inflammation has subsided which will be about 2 days. Shake the bottle each time before using. Flood the ear with solution (gently squirt bottle), massage gently to the count of 60, wipe with a tissue. Flood again on first treatment, wipe with a tissue, and leave alone without massage. The dog will shake out the excess which
can be wiped with a tissue, the Gentian Violet does stain fabrics.

SCHEDULE OF TREATMENT: Treat 2x per day for the first week to two weeks depending upon severity of ears. Treat 1x per day for the next 1-2 weeks. Treat 1x per month (or even less frequently, depending on the dog). All of these ingredients should be available at a pharmacy. The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Gentian Violet Solution is an anti-infection agent. The solution appears to work well on any and all ear problems from mites, to wax, to canker. After the second or third time you can clean out the ear with a Q-tip or cotton balls. The success rate for this treatment is 95-99%. Those who do not succeed have usually not done the treatment long enough or have not been regular about it. Dogs on the verge of ear canal surgery have been returned to normal with only the regular follow-up treatment to keep the ear healthy.

If an infection seems to be remaining in the treated ear after the above course of treatment, you may also have some Pseudomonas bacteria in the site. This can be eradicated by using a gentle flush of raw apple cider vinegar and water (warm). Use 2 Tablespoons of vinegar to one cup of water, 2x per week. They have found the Blue Power Solution to be effective for treating fungus-type infections on the feet and elsewhere on the dog, for cuts on dogs or people, and
for hot spots. You may find other uses for this simple anti-infective agent. Remember it is for external use only and be careful not to get into the eyes.

(07/18/2008)

By Kris

Dog With an Ear Infection

I understand that going to the vet is the safest thing to do. But honestly, there are dozens of natural alternatives, that work just as well. I am a vet tech, and have seen these things work, over and over again with people who can't afford vet care. Colloidal silver is hands down the best one. It is a natural antibiotic, that does not kill healthy bacteria. I have used this myself, for ear infections, colds, eye infections, and even for my infant with a yeast infection. It has worked better than expected every time. That stuff is a miracle. (12/02/2008)

By Lora

Dog With an Ear Infection

There's a great book at dogyeast.com which has all natural remedies, diets, tips, etc. on curing yeast infections. I got this book (actually 4 books) for $17, which is a lot less than I've ever paid at the vets. What's really good is I bought the book a year ago and my dog hasn't been to the vet for any ear problems since. I use the maintenance tip in the book which means the yeast has a real problem taking hold. Simple but it actually works. Hope this helps. (03/23/2009)

By John P.

July 16, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

January 22, 2008 Flag
Vet treating dog's ear.
Treating a Dog's Ear Infection
Pets Dogs HealthFebruary 20, 2011
A man scratching his ear.
Causes of Ear Itching
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
buzzing in your ear
Buzzing in Your Ears
Elephant Ear Plant
Wintering an Elephant Ear Plant
🎉
🎄