Making a Book Look Antique

I need to know what process to use when making a hard bound book into an "open antique book". I'm pasting a wedding invite to the open book. I want the pages in the book formed. I'll have to dip the pages or something. Does anyone have a recipe for this or directions?

By Lorena1210 from Webster, SD

I have made a hardcover book look very antique and individual with a wedding invitation. open book to middle,either use decoupage or white glue mixed with water. paint this on the edges and as it dries shape the pages in a pleasant way, pages curved. once you have the design put several more coats of finish on. use gold paint and paint the edges of the pages. now you can use whatever you want for the finish, I have done the invitation and used some of the bouquet and bows to embelish the other side. I gave it as the wedding gift. I tore the invitation and singed the edges to make it more antique looking.

If I remember right, from back in the 70s when I made several of these, besides what glooyg stated, you have to but something under the pages, towards the center of the book, so that they will be slightly curved towards the center. I think the lady that taught me this used a half a toilet paper roll, cut lengthwise. Then we used something to fill in under the ends of the pages, I think what we used was called wood putty, If I remember right it, it was a light tan powder that we mixed with water. She also went through the pages of the book and glued them together, maybe every 12 pages or so.

We also used a product called Gesso, but I can't remember what the purpose of that was. The top pages we curled on the corners. Back then a person could buy gold and silver toned paper borders, that looked lacey, to put on the edges of the paper. We also gave the books an antique look by applying a light coat of brownish paint to it and quickly rubbing it off with a rag. gollyg's idea of painting the edges of the pages gold sounds a lot nicer than just leaving them them whatever color. The lady that taught me this, made them to sell. One year I made one for my parents anniversary. I put a nice verse from an anniversary card on one side (they didn't have a wedding so there was no invitation left to use), then I put their wedding picture on the other side.

Book Lamp
Crafts Using Books
Crafts AdviceApril 2, 2009
Stack of Old Books
Reusing Old Books
Stack of paperback books.
Repairing a Paperback Book
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
A table filled with antique nicknacks.
Starting an Antique Business