Browsing: Freezing Cabbage

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

Is it possible to just shred and freeze cabbage?

By Julie from England, West Yorkshire

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I found a site you can look at. Hope this helps. :)

http://ezinearticles.com/?Freezing- ... Cabbage-the-Right-Way&id=1058587

I've always done cabbage that way with no problem. Lasts for months in the freezer.

I buy shredded cabbage (coleslaw) and freeze it in the bag that it comes in, I do not blanch it first. I use it for stir fry and soups.

I shredded some cabbage and placed in two freezer bags and it was fine. It was in the freezer for about 2-3 weeks. I used it in soup and it was fine - not sure how it would work in other uses/recipes.

October 4, 2010 Flag

I'm trying to find out how to freeze cabbage. I got so much and this is the first time I planted cabbage. It was fun planting a garden, I am doing it again next spring.

By Cindy from Sheridan, IN

Answers:

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I just chop it up and put it in freezer bags. No blanching necessary. It's great in recipes where you need to cook the cabbage. (08/03/2010)

By wendiesioux

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

You could chop it in a food processor, then fry it in butter and salt and pepper, put it in a plastic container and freeze in portions of about 1 cup. When you want a quick meal or side dish, thaw it out and then boil some noodles and mix together for cabbage and noodles. (08/05/2010)

By Cindy S.

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I had an excess of cabbage (just the two of us) last year and all I did was shred it, or rather cut in half, then slice it in not too thin slices, then pop an appropriate amt. for us in the freezer in Ziploc bags. I would thaw in the fridge when I wanted to use it, then put it in soups, stews, saute it with oil, apples, garlic and Spam and a little brown sugar and it was yummm! You can even drop a bunch in boiling water (the sliced cabbage, I did not do wedges) til it is done to your liking, butter it or adapt it to your way of cooking, taste buds, etc. I did not blanch it or anything. I had no problem with it at all. (08/06/2010)

By Indianone

August 3, 2010 Flag

How do you freeze fresh cabbage?

By Trapper Cook from Riverton, WY

Answers:

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I take a head of cabbage and quarter it. Cut the heart out of it (the center hard part) and then wedge them smaller. Place it in freezer bags (pints) and freeze them. Then when I make vegetable soup I just take one wedge and cook it along with the rest of the veggies. My mother-in-law used to make what she called freezer slaw. I didn't care for it because it was with vinegar instead of the mayo base. The recipe would be found on internet.
I'm getting ready today to freeze my cabbage wedges for this winter. (08/06/2009)

By batmenj_5

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I always freeze 3 or 4 cabbages each fall when they are at their largest for cabbage rolls. All I do is put one whole cabbage in a set of double grocery bags, then toss into freezer. This is the greatest way to have cabbage for making cabbage rolls during the colder weather. The cabbage leaves peel off without boiling first, no messy boiling to soften the cabbage. The smaller leaves I chop up to use later in soups or stews. Good luck! (08/06/2009)

By EM10

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I shred my cabbage then put in quart size freezer Ziploc bags. I thaw them out as needed, and stir fry with some butter, salt and pepper. It is yummy. Or I have a recipe with shredded cabbage and Spam or I use thawed shredded cabbage in soups or veggie patties. Hope this helps you. (08/06/2009)

By Indianone

Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I cut my cabbage in wedges and blanch in hot boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes. Then I place the wedges in freezer bags in portions I would use for soup, stir frys, etc. (08/06/2009)

By morbetomommy

August 4, 2009 Flag

Can I freeze cabbage?

May 7, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesOctober 4, 2010
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Roasted Cabbage
Roasted Cabbage Recipes
butterfly of an imported cabbage worm
Garden Insects: Imported Cabbage Worms
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 4:14:21 AM on 10.0.0.156 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.