Ways to Freeze Cabbage

By julie rees 1

Is it possible to just shred and freeze cabbage?

By Julie from England, West Yorkshire

Filter Sort

By Rachelle 20 77 Flag

I found a site you can look at. Hope this helps. :)

http://ezinearticles.com/?Freezing- ... Cabbage-the-Right-Way&id=1058587

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By cettina 78 392 Flag

I've always done cabbage that way with no problem. Lasts for months in the freezer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

Does anyone know if cabbage can be frozen? I froze it in unstuffed cabbage soup, but I don't how else to freeze it. The soup is excellent, too.

Thanks,

Mary from Paris, Ohio

Editors Note: Here is a link to some information on ThirftyFun about freezing cabbage: Freezing Cabbage

Answers:

RE: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/5333.html

Cabbage

Discard coarse outer leaves. Cut into wedges or shred coarsely. Blanch wedges 3 minutes and shredded cabbage 1 1/2 minutes. Cool promptly and drain.

Here's a website that gives a list of vegetables that can be frozen, and cabbage is one of them. Print off a copy of the website and file it with your recipes.

(11/07/2007)

By MCW

RE: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

Yes, you can freeze it. Wrap it in several plastic bags and tie tightly. Cabbage makes it's own heat so it will take several days to freeze. It also takes several days to defrost. This is a great way to make stuffed cabbages because once it thaws the leaves come right off with the slightest pull. (11/07/2007)

By perfume and powder

Archive: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

Can I freeze cabbage?

Connie from Olivehill, TN

Feedback:

RE: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

Are you talking about raw or boiled cabbage. I know that some love boiled cabbage, as I probably live about 15 miles from you, ha.

I have frozen cooked boiled cabbage, just cook them and let cool and place in bags, lay flat and get all the air out. Then pop in the freezer. I didn't know that you could freeze uncooked cabbage, just goes to show that you can learn something new everyday unless you are dead.

Martha
(05/09/2008)

By justmyimagination2002

Archive: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

How do you freeze fresh cabbage?

By Trapper Cook from Riverton, WY

Feedback:

RE: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I take a head of cabbage and quarter it. Cut the heart out of it (the center hard part) and then wedge them smaller. Place it in freezer bags (pints) and freeze them. Then when I make vegetable soup I just take one wedge and cook it along with the rest of the veggies. My mother-in-law used to make what she called freezer slaw. I didn't care for it because it was with vinegar instead of the mayo base. The recipe would be found on internet.
I'm getting ready today to freeze my cabbage wedges for this winter. (08/06/2009)

By batmenj_5

RE: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I always freeze 3 or 4 cabbages each fall when they are at their largest for cabbage rolls. All I do is put one whole cabbage in a set of double grocery bags, then toss into freezer. This is the greatest way to have cabbage for making cabbage rolls during the colder weather. The cabbage leaves peel off without boiling first, no messy boiling to soften the cabbage. The smaller leaves I chop up to use later in soups or stews. Good luck! (08/06/2009)

By EM10

RE: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I shred my cabbage then put in quart size freezer Ziploc bags. I thaw them out as needed, and stir fry with some butter, salt and pepper. It is yummy. Or I have a recipe with shredded cabbage and Spam or I use thawed shredded cabbage in soups or veggie patties. Hope this helps you. (08/06/2009)

By Indianone

RE: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I cut my cabbage in wedges and blanch in hot boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes. Then I place the wedges in freezer bags in portions I would use for soup, stir frys, etc. (08/06/2009)

By morbetomommy

Archive: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I'm trying to find out how to freeze cabbage. I got so much and this is the first time I planted cabbage. It was fun planting a garden, I am doing it again next spring.

By Cindy from Sheridan, IN

Feedback:

RE: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I just chop it up and put it in freezer bags. No blanching necessary. It's great in recipes where you need to cook the cabbage. (08/03/2010)

By wendiesioux

RE: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

You could chop it in a food processor, then fry it in butter and salt and pepper, put it in a plastic container and freeze in portions of about 1 cup. When you want a quick meal or side dish, thaw it out and then boil some noodles and mix together for cabbage and noodles. (08/05/2010)

By Cindy S.

RE: Ways to Freeze Cabbage

I had an excess of cabbage (just the two of us) last year and all I did was shred it, or rather cut in half, then slice it in not too thin slices, then pop an appropriate amt. for us in the freezer in Ziploc bags. I would thaw in the fridge when I wanted to use it, then put it in soups, stews, saute it with oil, apples, garlic and Spam and a little brown sugar and it was yummm! You can even drop a bunch in boiling water (the sliced cabbage, I did not do wedges) til it is done to your liking, butter it or adapt it to your way of cooking, taste buds, etc. I did not blanch it or anything. I had no problem with it at all. (08/06/2010)

By Indianone

Growing Cabbage, Selecting Good Broccoli, Freezing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesOctober 4, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Storing Cabbage
Storing Cabbage
Freezing Cabbage
butterfly of an imported cabbage worm
Garden Insects: Imported Cabbage Worms
Bok choy growing in a field.
Growing Chinese Cabbage
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:13:01 PM on 10.0.0.253 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

CommentsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings