Grown Up Dog Peeing In the House

I have a 3 year male dog and two females They are all house dogs. They are trained to go outside. The male is neutered, but he pees on everything in the house when we are not looking. He has ruined so much furniture. Please help me. I am tired of cleaning up his pee.

By JB from Cincinnati, OH

I'm going to be called a hard hearted pet owner but I was having the same trouble with my female dog. After making sure she wasn't ill I decided she had to be an outside dog. I can't affors all new carpeting or furniture and didn't want my house to smell. Sorry but that's the way it is.

I have a female whom we adopted this past summer and the same problem. The best advice (that works) that I have gotten is: keep him on a leash attached to your belt at all times when in the house, ie: when you are doing stuff around the house. Do not let him wander, if you cannot keep him attached to you, then he goes in the kennel, or outside. If he does start to pee while on leash (mine hasn't), then you can immediately startle him, stopping the peeing, and take him to the appropriate 'pee spot', wait for him to pee, then reward with lavish praise. If he doesn't pee, back into the kennel, and then try again outside later at 1/2 hour increments.

As long as you are consistently walking your dog as well, this has worked for me. It is a pain sometimes, and I do feel bad kenneling her sometimes, but it is better than her 'marking' in my home! Good Luck, I feel your pain!! PS- Also, do your best to neutralize the urine smell around the house, although this is almost impossible where carpet (& padding) and upholstered furniture goes.

If he was trained to go outside and this is something new for him--off to the vet. Could be a bladder infection or something else going on with him.

Previously house trained dog.
Previously House Trained Dog Peeing Indoors
Pets Dogs House TrainingFebruary 15, 2010
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Litter Box
Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside