Lawn Mower Not Running Smoothly

I have been having trouble with the a push Briggs and Stratton 5.5 horsepower mower sputtering and not revving to top power. I took the lawn mower apart and found a black plastic piece in the gas tank that was broken, but do not know where it goes. Any ideas?

By Sophia from Raleigh, NC

Call a lawn mower repair shop to ask them what it might be. Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in your gas tank, that's for sure. :(

Could you post a pic of the lawn mower so I could have an idea of what model engine you have. There are a few different types of the 4.5 Briggs

Try cleaning the air filter.

April 24, 2010 Flag

My Briggs 4.5 powered lawn mower doesn't run smoothly. The engine revs and uses more fuel than it should. I think it is running too rich and that the problem stems from ethanol. Does anyone else experience this problem, and do you know what parts need repair?

Philip from MA

Answers:

Lawn Mower Not Running Smoothly

I use 10% ethanol in the same engine with no problems the rev sounds like a vacuum leak, possibly a bad gasket. It is easy to replace with info from Google or a small engine rebuild manual. (09/18/2008)

By doityourselfer

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersApril 24, 2010
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Running Rough
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Dies When Put in Gear
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 1:01:24 AM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.