Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Lawn Mower Not Running Smoothly

I have been having trouble with the a push Briggs and Stratton 5.5 horsepower mower sputtering and not revving to top power. I took the lawn mower apart and found a black plastic piece in the gas tank that was broken, but do not know where it goes. Any ideas?

By Sophia from Raleigh, NC

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Larry Workman01/19/2012

Try cleaning the air filter.

By Bill05/01/2010

Could you post a pic of the lawn mower so I could have an idea of what model engine you have. There are a few different types of the 4.5 Briggs

By Melanie Jackson [1]04/29/2010

Call a lawn mower repair shop to ask them what it might be. Whatever it is, it doesn't belong in your gas tank, that's for sure. :(

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Lawn Mower Not Running Smoothly

My Briggs 4.5 powered lawn mower doesn't run smoothly. The engine revs and uses more fuel than it should. I think it is running too rich and that the problem stems from ethanol. Does anyone else experience this problem, and do you know what parts need repair?

Philip from MA

RE: Lawn Mower Not Running Smoothly

I use 10% ethanol in the same engine with no problems the rev sounds like a vacuum leak, possibly a bad gasket. It is easy to replace with info from Google or a small engine rebuild manual. (09/18/2008)

By doityourselfer