Homemade Bottled Iced Tea

My husband used to drink a lot of bottled "iced tea" that was too sweet and too expensive. I weaned him off it by placing a dispenser jug from a thrift shop in the frig and keeping cold tea in it at all times. (it's made by just putting black tea bags in the water and letting it steep.) Not too strong, but that cuts down on the caffeine, too.

By Pam from L.A., CA

Does your tea get cloudy? My tea gets cloudy and I don't know how to prevent this. Any advice for me?

You do realize that tea is a diuretic - for every glass of it you drink, you have to drink a plain glass of water just for your body to break even (fluid-wise). My husband drank lots of iced tea too. When we finally weaned him from it and he was drinking only water for about a month, he could hardly believe the difference in how he felt. It makes a difference, so just be aware that it may cause a problem.

I have been drinking more home brewed tea and less soda. I see the feedback on here about tea being a diuretic and how you should drink more water. I did some research and found that some bloggers DO post that it is, but the Mayo Clinic has this to say:

"It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it..."

I also stopped drinking all soda and make my own home brewed black tea. I find that I put less sugar in it and change the flavor of tea for variety by using 100% fruit juices added to it.

Water may be the best to drink but face it. Some of us get bored drinking it all the time. I have dry mouth so I can't have too much tea but I enjoy a couple of glasses a day. I can't drink anything with substitute sugar either cause it really dehydrates me badly. So that means no diet food or drinks. I have to be careful of what I eat and drink. In the end it still has to do with moderation.

Iced Tea Tips and Tricks
Iced Tea Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesMarch 29, 2006
Iced Tea With Lemon Wedge
Iced Tea Recipes
Sweet Tea
Sweet Tea Recipes
Bottled Water
Saving Money on Bottled Water
Summer drinks
Avoiding Watered Down Iced Drinks