Party ThemesParties

Hat Theme Party

"Hat" theme party ideas: My daughter turns 1 in a couple weeks and our theme for her party is "hats". We picked the theme because it was one of her first words and she says "hat" anytime she sees one. Any ideas for how to make a hat-shaped cake? Also, any EASY ideas for decorations or other things to go along with the theme? Thanks!

Sarah from Brooklyn Center, MN

Bonnet cake design came to mind>

Use two sizes of round cake pans

One large One medium

The medium cake would sit on top of the large cake

Not centered, but right off to the edge. The med cake would become the "face" > the large cake would then look like the brim of a bonnet...

Other than that, I could only think of a top hat, unless you had one of those Betty Crocker bowl shaped cake molds, then you could really go to town with hat shaped cakes.

Years ago we used this idea for a Ladies' Tea at church that had the theme "Hat's Off to Moms." Place styrofoam cups upside down on a cookie sheet and put in a warm oven. I'm sorry I don't have the oven temperature or length of time--offhand I would say try 300 degrees for five minutes and see how they turn out. You might want to put aluminum foil on the cookie sheet first--but as I recall, there was NO mess at all. They melt down to look like hats, then you can use ribbon and small flowers to decorate. Really a cute idea! We even put a small magnet on the back so they could be used on the fridge.

One thing that I make for Halloween might be a good "treat". It is simple to make: You need fudge stripe cookies, hershey kisses, licorice ropes (thin ones) and chocolate icing. Flip the fudge cookie over and put a little bit of icing around inner hole to secure hershey kiss in place over the middle hole. I wrap a licorice around the kiss to look like ribbon (makes a cute witches hat)- it is easier to make the day before.

As for decorating, my personal favorite, is good old construction paper. I would cut out hats (cowboy, party hats etc.). Or if you are really creative, you can try to make hats out of news paper (I have seen it done- don't know how to do it though). If you have a little bit of money to spare, I would check out a party store and see if they happen to have a western theme party- they may have some decorations with hats.

FUN FOR THE KIDS AND A GREAT PICTURE TAKINGS FOR PARENTS. HAVE A DRESS UP FASHION SHOW.

YOU CAN GET CLOTHING AND HATS FROM A SALVATION ARMY STORE OR CALL BRIDAL SHOPS TO SEE IF HAVE ANY OUT OF SEASON CLOTHES.

HAVE FUN.

What a cute idea! Here is a link to a hat cake that looks pretty easy:

http://www.bett  x?recipeId=34325

Have a great day!