New Paint Cracking and Bubbling

My smooth ceiling was textured with "popcorn". I wanted to remove and it came off fine using water with a little detergent as I'd been told on a home improvement site. After I painted it, it cracks and bubbles up and has done so several times. What can I do?

Mary from Nashville

Try to paint a sealing primer under your paint first. That should seal anything. Or possibly you have a leak above the ceiling and its getting moist in that area?

You did'nt specify what you used for paint.The only thing you should put on a ceiling is ceiling paint designed for a ceiling.The other thing that comes to mind is you did'nt remove all the residue of the soap detergent preventing the paint to adhere.I would check with a paint store such as Sherwin Williams or other paint company.Forget Walmart or big box stores.They don't know anything.

I'm trying to educate myself here since I have several remodeling projects about to begin. WHY must you use only ceiling paint for ceilings? What is different in the composition of ceiling versus wall paint? I'm not trying to be a smart aleck.......just trying to understand so I can make good choices when I buy my paint! Thanks!

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJuly 9, 2006
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint