Enhancing the Color of Grey Hair

Have you used color enhancing shampoos on your virgin gray/white hair? Do they add color and do you have to use it for a number of shampoos in order to see results?

By Betty

Ask your hairdresser to add in lowlights to the bottom layers of your grey hair. While the first instinct of many people is to add highlights, lowlights will create depth in the color and enhance its natural beauty. Wash your hair with shampoo formulated specifically for grey hair. This shampoo enhances the natural color and protects it from yellowing.

Condition your grey hair with conditioner formulated just for grey hair. This conditioner not only protects it from yellowing but combats dryness as well. Use a purifying shampoo once a month to remove any buildup on your hair. The trick to enhancing grey hair is to keep its natural tone and not allow it to be altered by yellow and brown buildup caused by polluted air. Keep your hair trimmed. Trimming hair prevents breakage and helps it grow in healthier, enhancing its beauty.

Go to a beauty supply store to purchase shampoo especially made for grey hair.

I love my grey hair and want to "enhance" it not cover it. What can I do?

By officergrammy from Upstate NY

Answers:

Enhancing the Color of Grey Hair

I think a lot would depend on genetics. I've been "going silver" (much nicer word than grey!) since I was about 25 and now have almost totally white hair. I've used Jhirmack Silver shampoo and their conditioner for over 20 years and get compliments constantly. My hair also looks its best when it's not too curly. A little bend and flip or large curls are fine, but the "wash and wear" for me looks witchy. I also favor short (no longer than shoulder length) for grey hair for the same reason. Basically I'd say a shampoo with bluing is the best advice. (02/07/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

Enhancing the Color of Grey Hair

Years ago, a friend told me about Shimmer Lights by Clairol, a conditioning shampoo that takes away the yellow and adds sparkle and shine. I get the generic brand from Sally's. It's good stuff. (02/08/2010)

By Hate Litter

Enhancing the Color of Grey Hair

Believe it or not, White Rain shampoo highlights silver. Like any shampoo, periodically you'll want to shampoo with a "stripper" type (to remove residue) and then return to your usual. (02/09/2010)

By 2oma

Enhancing the Color of Grey Hair

Shampoos with bluing made my gray hair look dark and dull. I found that Citre Shine products and Garnier Fructis Style Brilliantine Shine Glossing Spray make my gray hair shine without changing the color. (02/09/2010)

By Lady Bee