Using Frontline for Dogs on a Cat

My son has an 18 year old cat (that he loves dearly!) and although she stays indoors she has acquired fleas. A friend is trying to get him to use Frontline Plus (for dogs) to kill the fleas and I am concerned about this.

The friend purchased a container from his vet that has instructions for use on cats and dogs according to weight. I cannot find any really good source of information that verifies this is okay or not okay. The containers of cat and dog Frontline do show the same type and amount of ingredients. Just different amounts in the tube based on the weight of the cat or dog.

His friend has many pets and uses this all the time on his dogs and cats, but I would like to know if anyone has tried this and did work or were there problems.

By cybergrannie from Ocala, FL

I used this stuff on my dog and it almost killed her.

This works on the nervous system. The vet saved her, but he also said he had never been able to same a cat.

The only difference between Frontline for dogs and cats is the dosage. However, I would recommend placing the liquid higher up on a cat, since they're more flexible than dogs and you don't want her to accidentally ingest the stuff while cleaning herself.

Danger! Never. It has killed too many, especially older animals. Can cause spinal cancer, death, if not nerve damage. Fleas? Treat house with dry 20 Mule Team Borax. About 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups dry per carpeted room. Leave for 2 weeks before u vacuum so it can get eggs, larvae and adults. Can you bathe the cat for fleas on her body? Flea comb is good. My dogs and cats have not had fleas for more than 20 years with this method. I came from the flea capitol of the world (Ventura Ca.) where i learned this. For your yard, be careful who visits with animals that are infested.

You can kill the cat doing this! Go to Pet RX.com and chat with an online agent and ask them to be sure. Most products that cover dogs are too harsh for cats! You can also call a vet near you and talk to one of the staff, give her the details on the container and see what she says. Would you use a med that is for a adult on a child? Think!

I have used frontline and revolution on my cats. If your cat is an inside animal, revolution would be best. You don't need to worry about ticks inside the house, and frontline covers ticks. Also, revolution treats mites, which can get into the ears of cats and tend to be a problem among inside cats.

I have never had a problem with frontline or revolution, so I don't know what these people are talking about. I worked at a vet's office for two years, and both of these are fine products, as long as they are administered properly and as labeled.

Get Brewer's yeast tablets from the health food store and feed three a day to your cat, most cats will eat them first before their food if you just drop them on their food, and it is beneficial to their coat and keeps the fleas off and forget about the chemical worries of frontline.

Hello and thanks to everyone for your comments. I have cautioned my son about using this on an 18 year old cat. He did use 1/2 as much as directed for his cat's weight and it has helped. He also is using the borax and that has helped in the house. He is going to check out the Brewer's Yeast also.

Thanks again

NEVER use Frontline for dogs on cats. The products in it are different. I used a "dog frontline" on one of my cats. He started shaking as if he had Parkinson'. I took him to the vet, on emergency, he had to have a strong treatment, but was fine afterwards.

You can use "Frontline" for cats on cats without problems - and for dogs on dogs without problems.

Pets CatsJune 4, 2010
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
🎄
🍂