Flower Bed Okra Plants

These are pictures of my Okra plants. I purchase seeds from a man in Texas who developed this strain and have been using his special seeds for years. He calls it Flower Bed Okra, although I don't know why. They are more like small trees. (Smile)

The plants are quite big and really grow lots of branches. I plant them about 3 feet apart, and they almost touch one another in the rows. Two or three of these plants give my husband and I all the okra we need. This year I only have two plants. They take a little longer to start producing, but they will continue producing until frost.

One little trick that he told me about that works very well is to soak the seeds in bleach for about an hour,rinse in clear water, and then plant them in the ground.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

beautiful! if you could e-mail your seed source i would appreciated it. carlazon AT hotmail.com thanks

Where did you get the seeds ?

Would they grow in Vermont - zone 4 - I think.

could you please send me the source of where and whom you get your seeds from?

my email is: mays.robin@gmail.com

Thank you!

Robin

Could you post your source? I live in Conway, AR and have family in Dallas, TX. I'd love to get some seeds.

I would love to plant these Please send information

I would be very happy to post my source...not a business but an 85 year old gentleman who developed this seed, and he would be thrilled to send you seed packets. They are very inexpensive. Send $2.00 for each packet of about 50-65 seeds. I am sure he would appreciate a SASE long envelope to help with the postage.

His address is James T. Hopper, PO Box 621, Vidor, Texas 77670. Tell him you saw this on Thrifty Fun.

Harlean from Arkansas

For the guest from Vermont....I am not sure if your growing season is long enough...I know that it takes about 75 days to produce. Mine that are pictured were planted in early June. Once it starts producing, it will continue to produce until frost, if you keep it picked. You might have good luck if you would start them in containers inside and transplant them to the garden when the soil warms. They need a very warm climate. But it might be worth experimenting in your area.

Harlean from arkansas

Thank you for this source. Did you ask him if they are "genetically modified", or GMO? The size indicates a possiblity. Some veggies are being offered in Seed Catalogues that ARE modified which I really avoid. Mine aren't particularly tall, but are delicious, BUT are sparse, likely the location and/or soil composition this year...I tried "cage gardening", which I would NOT recommend

particularly, unless one had VERY little growing space

and could get the soil blend "just right", and not too

high in the circular wire cage garden. I may still try to improve upon it. Let us know if the okra seems "normal". LOL God bless you. : )

Hi Lynda,

Sorry I am so late to answer your question...have not been back to check feeback for a while. I don't think they are genetically modified, as Mr. Hopper developed them about 20 years ago, and I don't know if that was done then. I know that he told me that you can save seed from your plants and I have done so in the past. They stay true to the parent plant. You could drop him a line and ask him, just to be sure.

Harlean from Arkansas.

P.S. My plants are still producing, and are now over 6 feet tall and still adding branches. I am letting a few of the pods get large to save seed. And still have more than we can eat. Unless, of course, we want Okra every day for dinner!

I grew okra in Texas, yummy. Now this year I am trying them in Maine. They are growing, but not sure if we have a long enough summer to harvest. Will come back and post again in the fall. I also plan to write to James Hopper...at 85, I am sure he would love to hear from us all!

Harlean, I used to grow these okra plants and bought them from probably the same source as you have. However, I've moved several times and lost the seeds I kept as well as the contact info. Can you share with me some of these seeds or the information to contact the gentleman who saved these seeds. I would really like to grow them again. Thank you. wilgalloway AT gmail.com

Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodSeptember 14, 2006
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Small isolated okra with more in the background.
Freezing Okra
Okra Plant with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Okra
🎄